• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

I.H. REFLECTOR FLARE

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodsmith

displayname
Rodney Smith
The metal box is about the size of two bricks stacked together.It is embossed with I.H.&
reflector flare on it.There are 3 sets in the box. Each set is metel,except the driveway type red reflector.Each set has arms that adjust out,with two of the reflectors on it.If they were used by I.H. truck drivers,was each truck sold with a set, or were they an option?
rodsmith

I don't think they actually came with the truck but were made by some other company for IH as an accessory for IH truck dealers to sell to IH truck owners either individual people or trkg companies.

I'm sure you're aware that those reflectors were to be put beside and behind disabled trucks along the side of the road, and there were probably a couple small red flags and a couple flares also in the box. The red reflective triangles replaced those flares, flags, & reflectors probably 30 yrs ago. Back then at least in IL even pickup trucks had to even carry them.

I know when Dad traded pickups years ago he moved his box of flares from the old truck to the new truck.

And IH trucks NEVER broke down anyway, it was just the law requiring them that made IH sell them. ;-)

Rodney S: I agree with Dennis. While not an IH dealer, my Dad owned a company which installed air brakes, air horns, fifth wheels, saddle tanks, turn signals,etc., and other options on those old IH Trucks. IIRC nothing came with those bare bones trucks from the factory...

Myron B

Dennis and others,
Here's one of those "Flare Kits". I think the "Flare" is just a term for light or reflector. The items are packed so tight,and the box is too small for the ol' Rail Road flare.
216301.jpg

216302.jpg

TOM, MYRON, RODNEY - I don't think those are even LEGAL anymore, you have to use the newer plastic triangles that look like SMV emblems.

I was "standed" a time or two but never set those reflectors out and never heard a word from any LEO's about it. I was always amazed that none of my other lights would work right but my 4-Way's always worked! Been too many years since I drove those old wrecks, the RR flares may have had their own holder. I personally never liked the idea of having open flames around a broke-down truck.... Since it was always someone else's truck the temptation to toss the flare into the cab might have been too great to resist!
explotar2jr.gif

DENNIS, Agreed! I'm VERY sure these are not DOT appoved anymore. Triangles are the "new" standard.

TOM - You ahhhh Wouldn't have "Personal Knowledge" of that fact would you?

Just like I had "Personal Knowledge" that seat belts were required way back in 1983 after I got stopped for a routine log book & registration check down around Springfield, IL. I had those belts tied around the seat base so tight I didn't even try to say I used them.

Tom Hoffman

to bad those are not leagal anymore.I had a set and was told to get the reconized safety flares so I did,The back one is to be placed on the trailer or tractor, which ever is seen from behind.I got way to much stuff !
bash.gif

216350.jpg

clown.gif
Thanks Tom & the rest of you all.
My box is silver and my reflectors lay in sideways,but thats them.MO. up until I think the early 70's required owners name,city,state & license weight on a truck! Did other states require the same? I was young then but sure remember some crude writing.
Like to find one of those I.H. pickups with that crude writing now.
Also if the owner had sons that was put on also. Such as so&so &son or sons.

DONALD - The back one looks like an SMV (slow moving vehicle) emblem. Not sure about Canada but in all US states they're supposed to be displayed on ANYTHING that moves less than 20 or 25 mph on public roads, That's 32-1/4 or 40 KMph in Canadian. ;-) And not used on anything stationary or that moves faster than that.

But in most rural areas you'll see them hanging from fences, mail boxes, tree trunks, barns, etc. which is NOT legal. And most are so faded they can hardly be seen.

TOM - The company I drove for had "Spotting Service" in their name, which meant I dropped & hooked an average of at least three trailers every day. Sometimes as many as 10-12 in an hour. LOTS of short trips which means I'd have probably worn the seat belt latch out.

RODNEY - I think IL did away with the lettering req't in the mid/late 1960's on personal pickups but larger personal & all commercial trucks still require it. Dad never did the "& Son" on his pickups. He'd have his first name lettered in smaller letters on the driver's door and my name on the passenger door since I rode "Shotgun" just about every where he went if I wasn't in school.

There used to be guys who made a living from lettering trucks. Guy Dad hauled livestock for had ten letters in his last name. By the time he lettered both truck doors and the nose of a new trailer the letting cost almost as much as the new truck! ILL required "Empty weight" on the doors.

Think I mentioned in another post IL also req'd a manditory every six month safety inspection, all lights, brakes, tires, alignment, all glass windows, and your flares & reflectors/flags, etc. checked and a sticker put in the windshield. That was required till about 1984 or 1985. I remember an off-duty but uniformed ILL State Trooper pulling his pickup up behind my truck one morning in the inspection lane and I casually made the comment, "I'll be glad when ILL requires these inspections for cars." He asked why. And I replied, "So I won't see so many cars with burned out head & tail lights like I do now since you guys won't pull them over." He wasn't so friendly after that! ;-) One day earlier that week I had a 7 AM delivery appointment in Chicago and caught & passed a car in pea-soup thick fog about sun-up. Fog so think I could only see ONE strip of the center lane divider on I-55 around Bollingbrook, IL. Car had one dim tail light and one head light aimed down on the ground about ten feet in front of his bumper.

Latest posts

Back