• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hydro transmission cork gasket replacement

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
After about fifteen years, I decide to replace the leaking cork gasket between the hydro pump and the differential case on my 129. Most of the work involves preparing to split the tractor, removing the transaxle from the frame. While this is shown in the repair manual, I thought I'd take pictures as I did it (I've spared you though, I took more than 100 altogether). While there are differences in the many IHC Cub models, including internal brakes, the process should be pretty close on all. Make sure you've got a drain pan under the transaxle.....

191059.jpg

191060.jpg

191061.jpg

191062.jpg

191063.jpg

191064.jpg

191065.jpg

191066.jpg

191067.jpg

191068.jpg

191069.jpg

191070.jpg

191071.jpg

191072.jpg

191073.jpg

191074.jpg

191075.jpg

191076.jpg

191077.jpg

191078.jpg

191079.jpg

191080.jpg

191081.jpg

191082.jpg

191083.jpg

191084.jpg

191085.jpg

191086.jpg

191087.jpg

191088.jpg

191089.jpg

The text on the photo covers the label, it's Permatex Anerobic Gasket Maker.

Reassemble in reverse order - watch the rods that are hanging loose when you push the transaxle back into the frame, they can get trapped.. Don't forget to top off the Hytran.
thumbsup_old.gif

Let's see if I get this right ...
Reassemble in reverse order - remove new cork gasket and scrape off sealer ...
biggrin.gif

Thanks for not making the pics stretch my monitor.

Gerry,
What's with the Fram hydro filter? I thought those shouldn't be used.

Otherwise, this is great and should be handy for those like me who need to fix hydro creep.

Gerry Ide

Great write up and I like the way you did the cork gasket replacement. That should be in the Faq I think. Looks easy to do with all the pictures . Great Job . Later Don T
worthy.gif

Fram filters have worked for me for 25 years ... Like Champion plugs, there are varying opinions...I would note that based on the work that Kraig and Travis did a few years ago, I'd use a different brand now, but this is what was on it when I did the work a couple of weeks ago...

Kentuck:
Just flip the video tape over and play it in reverse...

Gerry-

Nicely done. I just did this a couple of weeks ago and will do another in a few days. I think I'll do the permatex like you demonstrated. It's nice to have the reference; it eases the mind.

Kide - Nice work. Thanks for sharing it. (Ken, don't wait for the movie - they always leave stuff out of the movie version!)

Anybody notice that he left out the most IMPORTANT steps ?
1) Do it late at night when your neighbor that always comes over to watch and talk is sleeping.
<font color="0000ff">I rebuilt a SB 400 Chevy once and my neighbor 'caused me to glue the rear seal in backwards, at least I had someone to take me to get a new one.</font>
2) Get ALL Honey Dos caught up for the week prior to starting project.

Lipp - I like your sig
thumbsup.gif

Gerry, You make it look so EASY...
worthy.gif
smile.gif

So, I'll order the gasket and pick up some sealer, then clear a spot to tear my 129 it apart.
Looks like I should see about renting a power washer too....Thanks!
Ryan Wilke
coffee.gif

Gerry - just happened to catch this = REALLY GREAT JOB with the pics and steps. Only thing I did alittle different is rotate the rear a full 90degrees so that pump is vertical. YOu don't have to worry about loosing HYTRAN on the floow and I thought easier to re-align pump.

When are you posting the re-assembly pics
happy.gif

Thanks for putting this all together. Certainly had to be alot of extra work. It will certainly provide alot of people great documentation.

Thanks again for doing it,

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but they do occassionaly leave a spot)

Harry:
Thanks...I woulda tipped it up on end, but I couldn't figure out how to balance it on the handle of the floor jack.....I think Digger would put this in the FAQs, except for the Fram filter..
clappy.gif

Gerry - I just balanced mine on a piece of 4x4 cut to the correct length I just happen to have laying around. I also used the Big Ole Crescent Wrench on the draw bar trick like they show in the manual, to work the rear back out of the frame, but I suspect with your special weight options you removed all that stuff. As for the Fram filter, I missed all the controversy, but I don't like Fram's anyway.

Thanks again for all the pic work. Certainly hope Charlie does put it in the FAQ.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and sometimes like to set on their rears)

With the jack under the transaxle and the hoist putting a little up force on the frame, I walked the rear end out of the 129.. I just noticed that in the last picture, I managed to obliterate the label on the gasket sealer... That's Permatex Anerobic Gasket Maker, and I used just a slight layer to seal the gasket ( and I swear it smells like bad strawberry jam...)

Gerry, I edited your post and added the info about the Permatex Anerobic Gasket Maker under the photo.

Just came in from using some on a water pump.... Thanks, Kraig!!

Latest posts

Back