• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Handy Shop Charts (that you can never find when you need'em)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually yankee it's for his index but my video isn't on his index page
wink.gif

I to have done the rust removal experiment. It is really cool. I did a bunch of old c clamps I found for free. made them look brand new.

Ken-I recieved the pin tool....I now also have a 4.9 cent nickle. I will get that CD out to you next week.

Well worth the wait!!!!!!!!:eek:))))))))))))))

Jonathan between you and Mac you're gonna put the nation in debt
wink.gif

Worth the wait ??? Wasn't it close to 2 years ?? Man if I'd quit messing up I'd get a lot more out a lot faster. I worked until 7am this morning then went out this afternoon to finish drilling 2 blanks that I left, only to find out that I had milled one down to size to square up all on one end ! That was another piece of scrap
sad.gif
I got tired of shimming my china mill vise so I took off the jaw face to mill it down the .045" that it was out in 6". I ruined a new 3/4" mill so I went to the shop down the road a mile that sharpens cutters. I got a FREE 3/4" TiN coated solid carbide cutter ! ! !
happy.gif
He pulled it out of a box and put it in the CNC sharpener machine and sharpened it for me while we chewed the fat. I don't get lucky very often but when I do it's nice to get a "good" lucky streak. It left a polished shine on that tool steel jaw. Enco has that bit listed at $82.24 ! ... I still need a good $375 Kurt vise ... oh Santa Claus ...

Now if I just had Mike's stuff done ... and the castings for the guy in FL. and the tools done I could GO FISHIN ! Been 3 weeks since I caught my last 5.25 pound Smallmouth.

Ken, I just watched the video of you pouring, looks like you might want to cover that beard or you'r going to loose it!
thumbsup.gif

John

John the only problems I've ever had with my long hair and beard is once getting my hair sucked into a drill motor from holding it next to my face while drilling into a concrete wall and way back when I was 15 getting it under a creeper wheel when I gave a hard shove to come out from under a truck ... beard is flame proof !
lazerburn.gif

Ken, you have an asbestos beard? Just don't breath around it. :eek:)

Here's two new ones:

This is a chart of recommended feed rates (in SFPM) for various metals, using HSS and Carbide cutters, and recommended coolants. Note- this comes 1965 textbook, so take it with a grain'o salt.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif
materials
Cut and feed.PDF (5.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>

This is a basic Surface Foot-Per-Minute lookup table- diameter for cutter, wheel, or workpiece, and RPM... yields SFPM for determining wether the surface speed is proper for the cut you desire.
Note that in order to do a compound-SFPM (like using a toolpost grinder on a lathe) you'll need to look up SFPM for the grinding wheel, AND SFPM for the workpiece, and add them together to get actual SFPM at the cutting interface.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif
SFPM
SFPM Turning.PDF (7.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Dave try this one - it's showing a carbide insert end mill in the drawing but it doesn't specify it in the text ...

I found out that taking to shallow of cuts does dull carbide end mills !
25082.gif

Thanks Kendell fer that link , I've got more somewhere and I see some of them listed there. As bad as my memory is I can read a book or article (that's why I didn't do so well in public school but did well in the school of hardknocks) and forget it as I'm reading so I like having saved info when I need it. I have some things printed out and laminated out it the shop. It's nice to print out a sheet and take out there, better than opening up a book and getting greasy finger prints all over it!
angry.gif

Ken:
You got me by a year ...these three are all '41 - the year my dad got hired at REO Motors (in Lansing) as a machinist. He went back to being a mechanic during the '50s, but spent the last 14 working years before retirement back in the tool and die trade. These (and his book of trig functions) were always in his tool boxes.
55723.jpg

I keep the middle one in the shop for reference - a billion dollars worth of knowledge...(the kind this country was built on)

Steel Rectangular Tubing Sizes....

I've got a project in mind (more details to come) where I want to use rectangular steel to make a framework that has adjustability by sliding one tube inside another, which is then locked in place with a bolt/welded-nut or a pin through it.

The local Fastenal store has a great variety of steel sizes in their catalogs, but their charts only list the O.D. of their square and rectangular tubing.

Can I figure I.D. by subtracting wall thickness from the O.D. as in the example below, or is there more to it than that? (corner radius, etc) This would be my outer tube:

board-post.pl

Obviously I want these two pieces to fit together relatively close for a solid set up, but they don't stock every size they catalog, so it's impossible to test fit this stuff in person without having to order a 20' stick of it.

Anybody have a chart that will tell us I.D.'s of structural steel tubing?

On a side note, they'll order whatever I may want before I purchase it without putting me "on the hook" to purchase it, but I thought I would figure out if my plans will work before going through the trouble of ordering something in that won't work anyway.

I figured if anybody would know, it would be someone here.

Thanks!
happy.gif

Yes Art subtract the wall from the O.D. and remember that IF it's welded wall it'll have a small weld seam on one wall that may hold ya off. I sometimes groove a line on the inside piece if it's real tight or if it's a short piece file down the seam.

Kendell-
Thanks for the chart...

Ken-
Good point about the welded seam. I don't have any machines here that can "groove a line" if the weld gets in the way, but then again the pieces I'm using will be short enough that I can aways hit them with a flap-disk on a 4.5" grinder if it's a problem. Good to think about it now though...

Here's the picture that DIDn't make it in my first post like I thought it did....Doh!

74504.jpg

Anyway, you guys get the idea.

More info to come as the project progresses along...
happy.gif

Art - Air cutoff tool or Dremel works if you don't have a mill ... I know where you could buy a South Bend shaper too. (I'll kick myself someday for not buying it)

Back