• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

GT1554 Smokes

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abarteck

displayname
Aaron Barteck
I have a 2005 GT1554 with a Kohler 27hp Command motor. It sometimes smokes when i start it after I have been working with it.. what would cause that?

I have a 07 Gt1554 it has always surged on start up and smoked a little but after that it runs great and uses no oil.
---------
This is my 1st posting and i'm still trying to find my way.

Watch for a slight overfill of oil, the Command vertical shaft engines are highly sensitive to oil levels.
The reason is the cylinder on the right side(when seated on tractor) is the lower cylinder of the "V" twin, the opposite cylinder sits higher in the block, being offset. It sits so low that the crankcase oil level is near the bottom of the cylinder.

Also, check to see if the front of the tractor sits lower, "nose down" as this increase the problem substantially. You may need to air up the front tires to address this, which may/may not require re-leveling the mower deck. I have seen many cases of this on 1554 tractors.

What then happens is oil that was on the cylinder walls when you stopped the engine will gravitate past the rings into the combustion chamber causing a "smoke on start up" situation.

Note that the color of the smoke will indicate if it is oil (light blue) or fuel (black) as a guide. Check air filter, change as required. Verify oil level when tractor is on level ground.
Hope this helps.

You guys do realize your replying to someone who posted on 8/26 and logged in three times, the last time on 8/21??

Good info from Jim, though
beerchug.gif

Ahhh...ya, good info. My buddies Cub lawn mower does the same thing, well..on incline changes anyhow, and I couldn't figure why. Never thought of that, guess I need to re-check his oil level again.

Brendan,

Is your friend's Cub equipped with a Command twin or a Courage twin? The Courage is even more sensitive to oil levels. As you know, the Courage block is different internally. The breather chamber was(up until late 2008) quite easily flooded with crankcase oil,this would be ingested from the breather hose and cause smoke on any inclines.

The same situation as with Command oil level is also an issue with the RH cylinder in my earlier explanation. The Courage must have the oil level checked while sitting on level ground,the dipstick is to be lowered onto the dipstick tube (not screwed on, contrary to earlier instructions). As mentioned, simply lower it to the fill tube and withdraw to check oil level.(Courage only, not Command!)Screwing the dipstick on will overfill the crankcase by approx 14 oz.; not good!

Remmember to insure that the tractor sits level, those slanting "downhill" will have a much greater propensity to smoke on startup!!

Now, if that is a Courage twin and nothing stops the excessive smoke on inclines, ask you dealer to call his regional service rep, either Cub or Kohler. Have the numbers from the engine data plate when he calls. Whether in warranty or not they typically will work with you to correct the issue as it was not an isolated problem. Be persistant; remember an engine that does that "may not" be emissions compliant, therefor leverage exists.

Thanks Jim...That makes a lot of sense, it only does this in one spot of his yard and when it does he can clear oll of Cortland Co of mosquitoes. It sucks oil out the breather like mad. On the check oil thing...wouldn't it show a lower level when screwed in ?! I do also seem to remember him saying his father had a habit of over filling it to so chances are he is doing the same but for a different reason. May have to find him somewhere different to check the oil, I don't think there's a flat spot on his property
1a_scratchhead.gif

Oh ya...I don't remember what engine it has, and I fixed a different problem with it a couple months ago too........
blush.gif

Brendan,

Yup, you are correct, I recalled the info bass-ackwards I guess. Old minds are not always gold mines; I had reversed the procedure, thanks for clearing that up.

The newest engines now have a simple bayonet dipstick to avoid the confusion, last I heard. I was part of the downsizing last year when over 1000 people were cut, there may be more current info I am not privy to. Prior to that we had multiple ways to properly check the oil level, which created a nightmare of confusion and misinformation. I believe that Kohler and Cub agreed to apply a decal explaining the latest procedure, his dealer may supply those free for the asking.

That is some severe smoking of a Courage twin on a slope, some dealers have added a second breather element with some success. In a few cases installing valve stem seals worked. In many cases nothing short of a new shortblock will correct the problem as the breather chamber redesign corrects the problem.

Again, sorry about the confusion I created.

Latest posts

Back