• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Garden 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the potatoes that was not coming up very well.
190774.jpg

The corn this year is so bad i am ashamed of it. I wanted to plow it up and start over.
My pear tree is getting to overloaded with pears.

190775.jpg

here is a few pics of our garde potatos,corn,carrots,onions,tomatos, and peppers so far sorry about photo qaulity
191107.jpg

191108.jpg

191109.jpg

Your Garden is looking good Jeff. I plowed my garden with the 102 yesterday, then worked about 4 hours getting the potatoes, corn, and beans worked for the last time. The potatoes are starting to bloom and fall over. I don"t use harsh chemicals so the potatoe bugs are a constant strugle. Every time i spray for the bugs it rains and washes it off again.

I have a new type critter in my garden. I was sitting in my living room just after daybreak this morning and some movement in the garden caught my eye. As soon as I saw it I was hoping it was a slider looking for a place to lay her eggs but it was a snapper heading across land. I don't know how it got under the electric fence. I have the lowest run about three inches off of the ground for rabbits. He WAS moving at a good clip.

191397.jpg

The clump of grass on his back is just clippings from mowing yesterday. He was about the size of a dinner plate.

Wayne those turtles will take one bite from each tomatoe.They are very destructive on tomatoes. Last yeear i had 13 tomatoes ripening and 8 had bite taken from them. I traped and moved 4 turtles.

IT has been above 90 for the last few days here. The garden plants wilt about every day. My tomatoes is going to die i think. But we had potatoes,beans, cucumbers, and squash from the garden today, and corn from last years garden.

Luther-

I have always heard (and witnessed) that tomatoes love the heat. If the plants are established and not diseased they should survive the heat just fine as long as you keep the water a coming. They have to have water almost daily. I feed mine about once a week too with a good liquid fertilzer. You can also root and plant cuttings for late tomatoes.

That snapping turtle was just passing through. I haven't seen any sign of him since that day. It may have been an electrifying experience he won't soon forget.

Good luck with the garden.

Been gardening for a few years now but never saw this before. 5.5" of rain since Sunday, have dieing vegies and mushrooms!

192471.jpg

Since I am the one who started the garden thread this year, it is about time I put a few more pictures up. I have already harvested several pounds of beets, along with 3 nice broccoli clusters, and several heads of cabbage, some weighing 4 or 5 pounds. I also have more lettuce and radishes than I can use. Potatoes have stayed healthy, but the potato bugs have forced me to counterattack with Sevin.

192604.jpg

Got pumpkins and cucumbers next to the corn

192605.jpg

Beets, lettuce, radishes, and beans are between the corn and potatoes.

192606.jpg

To the right of the gate are potatoes, 2 types of cabbage, broccoli and onions. It has been pretty dry the last couple of weeks, so I had to break out the sprinkler the last couple of days.

I grow tomatoes and peppers too, but I grow them next to the house.

Has anyone got a organic or natural way to get rid of the Colorodo potato bug
they seem to have moved in heavily on our potatos
sad.gif

Jeff i use Colorado potatoe beatle beater. It has Spinosad which is the closest thing to organic i can find. It actually does kill the bugs. When mixing i add 2 ounces per gallon of IVory dish washing liquid. The dish washing liquid helps the stuff stick to the leaves and will actually kill some bugs. The key to using anything is to spray the underside of the leaves, and on a hot sunny day. You can also use this on your other plants. We used to use Sevin but it don"t kill the bugs anymore. It is a real problem here as the bugs stay in the ground all winter and come out and lay eggs in the spring.
We have corn almost ready to freeze. We have frozen 2 bushel of beans. Have lots of squash,lettuce, mustard. and other greenes. Our potatoes are getting close to dying down.

Luther,
Its only late June and I am seeing my taters starting to yellow a bit. The weather the last couple of weeks has been hot and dry, and the tater vines are starting to show early signs of dying back. I'm trying to stave off their demise for as long as I can, so I am spraying for beetles and watering. I've never really been able to get them much past mid-July before they finally die off.

One of my neighbors on the north side of Boring has a large patch every year, it seems he gets his to go a few weeks longer, and doesn't harvest them until October.

Dug some yukon gold potatoes today. The vines have all layed down and dyeing. They are big enough but the skin is still very thin so they are still growing. The pontiac and kenebecks are already about ready to dig. I hope i can wait until first of October But we waited last year and the rains came to much. A lot rotted. We will wait until frost to dig the sweet potatoes. Would send pictures but my computer crashed and i don't everything back yet.

thanks Luther for the beattle beater info, but right now we have to stick with walking the rows picking them off.

I dont know what we have planted as I just do the labor, and asks no questions.

I do know the potato plants all look healthy

Luther,
I am doing Yukons and Russets. I am probably going to end up with more Russets. I brought several pounds of each of Russets and Yukons as seed potatoes, but the Russets had more eyes per spud, and more spuds per pound.

I thought I'd take a photo or two of my garlic beds this morning. When I walked out to them a small rabbit ran out and sat next to the beds so I took a photo of the garlic looking into the sun rise to get the rabbit.

193029.jpg

Garlic beds and rabbit.

193030.jpg

Rabbit.

193031.jpg

I walked to the other end of the garlic beds to get a photo with better lighting, I noticed my two cats were showing interest in the rabbit that was just to my right about 10 feet away. After I took this above photo the rabbit calmly hopped past me within 2 feet of me and went on it's way into the field.

193032.jpg

I think my cats need to get busy and start catching rabbits, my place is over run with them and I was nearly run over by one...
jester.gif

here are my potato plants and a little of its harvest, They Red Pontiacs and where very tasty.

193477.jpg

193478.jpg

193479.jpg

"run over by a rabbit..." Try telling that to the doctors in the ER !
shhh.gif

I can lend you some of my outdoor cats if yours seem to need some OJT on varmint hunting.

Nice gardening guys. My garden here is dying from no rain. I have had1.5 inches in 42 days. The squash,cucumbers, watermelons, beans, and tomatoes are already about dead. The potatoes and corn are doing pretty good. Potatoes are about ready to dig and corn ready for the freezer.Sorry about no pictures. I don't have my computer set up yet after the crash.

Like Luther its been dry and hot here in the Old Line State. Cabbage, Beets, and Broccoli are about done, and the onions are about ready. Potatoes are still alive, but I found a few sitting exposed, so I shoveled some dirt on them and pulled some weeds. I've resorted to using a sprinkler, though we did get a nice thunderstorm last week. Got some Yukons that are almost a pound each. Corn is healthy and going into tassel.

Despite regular watering and weeding, my Rhubarb plant is struggling to survive. I have a healthy pumpkin and a healthy cucumber vine, sadly I started with several each. We're supposed to get some rain and cooler temperatures this weekend.

Latest posts

Back