• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Ever heard of an Electric Garden Tractor??

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SETH,

Those tractors were a sort lived experiment. GE sold them for a couple of years and then sold the product to Wheel Horse. You got about 1 acre of cut time before the batteries started to go down.

At the 50th Farm Progress Show there was a New Idea electric lawn mower for sale. It appeared to be identicle to the GE models.

Seth:

I have seen a few of those. There was a Dealer in a neighboring town that sold them. If I remember correctly, they were introduced in the early 1970's. Like Michael said, their production was shorted lived.

Seth:

A guy I car-pooled with in MA had one of those. We were about 25 miles outside Boston so most houses had much less than 1 acre to mow due to high land cost and dense trees. He had the optional welding attachment that used the batteries for DC welding. It made a good emergency repair rig - just drive it to where you broke and fix it. He retired in the mid 90's and moved so I have no idea what became of it.

JimE

I could have got a GE for free but never did go pick it up ... but how many copies of lit do you want ? I've got a stack about 10" tall !

24250.jpg

Ken, I'll take a copy of the literature! Please..... :eek:)

You guys are truely amazing!!!! I figured I would get a smilely face like this...
confused.gif

I think I could ask about Oliver garden tractors (heard of them) or Massey Ferguson garden tractors with rubber tracks (saw one once) and someone would know something about them!!!!

Seth -

Heck, you can even ask about the Lennox Kittytrack and you won't get a dumb stare here.

Most if not all of these have been represented at the Little G garden tractor show in Dyersville, IA each year. Since many of us are within a few hour drive, we tend to have "seen it all". And if not at the show, it's been reported in their newsletter.

(Message edited by bmcmeen on December 21, 2004)

(Message edited by bmcmeen on December 21, 2004)

Seth,
My wife's uncle (I guess that would make him my uncle-in-law) has about 10 of those oliver garden tractors. He's collecting them. Apparently they are extremely rare. He says there are less than a hundred out there.

Frankly I don't see the attraction, after all they are GREEN!

David all it amounts to was a rolling battery box. How streamlined does a BB need to be ? ;) I wish I had got it , the DC motors would have been nice to have had if they were still useable (2 on the deck and 1 drive - drive motor = to 10hp). I need more junk in the way ! ... shoot me !

At the dealership I used to work for we sold New Idea electric garden tractors. They went from 10 to 20 horsepower. I even tractor pulled them. They had very good power and were good machines--the biggest problem they had was that battery life was only about 3 hours. I still have most of the repair manuels for them. They had a whole line of attachments from a fork lift down to a hedge trimmer than ran off the battery. The battery maintenance, the electrical complicity, and the battery time were their downfall.

Latest posts

Back