• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Epoxy Removal

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcoleman

displayname
Glen M. Coleman
Didnt know who to ask, my old man didnt know so I figured I'd ask the infinite wisdom here. I cant post a picture of the belt buckle in question because its an epay item, if its alright with Charlie Kraig and Bryan I'll provide the item number and the picture should come up. I want to remove the epoxy coat off of the feathers on his headdress and repaint it like the one below, but I dont know how to go about removing the epoxy, I had considered chipping it off or glassbead blasting it off but I dont want to remove too much detail from the buckle itself. If its more trouble than its worth Ill try to find another that isnt gonna lead to a frustrating bidding war. Thanks guys.

233181.jpg

Glen-

Sounds like it's time to let your fingers do the walking and find someone that restores antiquity. I wouldn't have a clue as to what to do other than slow, careful scraping with a dental tool. I'd bet there are chemicals out there but that's something for the experts.

Good luck!

Thank you Wayne, I miraculously found another that only has a small drop on each feathertip instead of nearly the whole thing which should be much easier to repaint. I was thinking solvents too, but I have no idea what that isnt hard or even legal to obtain or that wont dissolve myself or the brass.

Glen,
I checked the Home Repair forum, they have a thread on the subject. The consensus seems to be that heat will soften the epoxy, making it easier to remove mechanically, and so will Acetone or carburetor cleaner. The solvents won't dissolve it entirely, but it should make it easier to scrap off with things like dental picks and so on. Here is the link to the thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/repair/msg0917280511256.html

Bruce, thank you! I had pondered heat as well. I will be sure to post pictures later on once I get it all painted and such.

Back