• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Electronic ignition?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Shelby

IHCC Supporter
Right now she’s starting and running so good I’m afraid to screw with it, but… I see there’s a PerTronix electronic ignition triggered by a hall affect module/sensor. Kirk Engines had a Trandenser II Electronic Ignition System, but it looks like they’re no longer selling it.
Wondering what folks are having good luck with or am i better off just sticking with points/condenser?

Last edited:
Use OEM Kohler parts and don't have to worry about it. In my experience with vintage cars, the Petronix stuff works ok for a while, then will have a sudden, mysterious failure, stranding the owner. I believe they use cheap components in their electronic parts.

As long as OEM quality parts are still around, years of trouble free service are to be had. The transdenser, Hall effect, etc are enhancements for performance; or replacements for NLA parts. I believe the transducer is still around being sold by Overnight Solutions LLC.

One thing they all have in common is the ignition coils have to be correct, and the wiring correct with clean connections and no key on / engine off or they'll all fail with the electronic ones failing sooner. (a mis-wire on a transducer is instant failure)

My own experience with Pertronix has been good. It's been 20+ years since I put them in my Scout and the 1210 pickup; they run good and the dwell has never changed. I'm no super mechanic, I just follow instructions. If the Kohler point supply ever dries up; then I might consider one for the Cub.

Have a Kirks Engine unit on a 321 with a Bosch coil--been running for 3 yrs. Super fast start, runs smooth, no problems at all.
I agree with Greg on the Pertronix unit. Have on a 1956 Century boat-far superior to stock ignition. Just follow instructions-don't reinvent the wheel.

My own experience with Pertronix has been good. It's been 20+ years since I put them in my Scout and the 1210 pickup; they run good and the dwell has never changed. I'm no super mechanic, I just follow instructions. If the Kohler point supply ever dries up; then I might consider one for the Cub.
I worked at the Charlotte IHC Truck Factory Branch from 1973 until 1980 and we stocked/sold PerTronix upgrades. I used several units in various 289 Mustangs with no problems at all as long as I kept them.

I worked at the Charlotte IHC Truck Factory Branch from 1973 until 1980 and we stocked/sold PerTronix upgrades.

Like this?

Attachments

• Fleetrite.jpg
    Fleetrite.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 0
Still I’ll have a box with the parts I removed. Can’t ever tell when you might need them 50 years later🤣
I didn’t remember PerTronix was a subsidiary of PerLux that made the high-end fog/driving lights for OTR tractors.

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back