• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Delta DP220 Drill Press -Delta Milwaukee

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thill

displayname
Tom Hill
I have my great uncle's DP220. A really Greg tool from the 1950s or so.

Unfortunately the Chuck decided to come off the spindle the other day. It's not a taper or set screw connection but a reverse thread onto the spindle.

The chuck is a Delta Grip 17/32". An early keyless model.

Does anyone know the procedure to get it back on?

The trouble is there's a threaded floating disk captive inside that holds it to the spindle (supposed to). And below that threads to open and close the jaws. As the disk gets up to the shoulder at the top of the threads it freewheels inside the housing.

Any help from a well experienced (not daring to call them old!!!) would be appreciated!

Have you tried opening the jaws ALL-THE-WAY? That usually forces the inner threaded disk upward then you just thread it on left-handed...

Robert,

I did and it still came loose. I've been all over the internet for hints. I got your email picture of the Delta~Grip Chuck and appreciate all the help.

Thinking of doing the open all the way and chucking a Max sized piece of stock or a bit to see if that helps.

Maybe that new LocTite tape at the top of the threads.

Tom, is there a hole in the end of the spindle shaft? Some hand power drills I've had used a screw in the rear of the chuck to hold it from rotating off.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Allen,

Nope no hole. It has a reverse thread on the shaft and two threaded parts in the chuck assembly. Quite unique apparently.

Have dropped the spindle and built the chuck back up after tightening the disk as tight as I can with Medium Loctite on the top threads. Still came loose. Next is high strength Loctite after cleaning both threads with acetone.

Have figured out the procedure I guess but still am fighting the loose end results. DISAPPOINTING!!!

Good tries from all and I did extensive searching on Practical Machinist to no avail. Even the discussion link Allen provided talks about Jacobs Taper which my spindle just does not have.

I ended up by reassembling the chuck on the spindle and using Penetrating Loctite on the threads of the disk. Close to a permanent install but I don't see needing another chuck. If I do I'll be shopping for another spindle too!

Thanks for everyone's help. Especially Robert K, the Guy must be a Rocket Scientist or something!

Per Jerimiah's Request ...

224321.jpg

The shaft shown in the top of the picture is the drill press Spindle with the reverse threads shown extending into the body. The Disk is the part shown through the cutaway (although it's not shown cut itself). The Disk needed to be captive on the Spindle to activate the Jaws but would continually back off letting the whole chuck release from the machine.

Clean threads, the right Loctite and a ton of patience rebuilding this thing (at least 20 times) has brought my vintage drill press back to life!!

Here's a picture of the whole Drill Press in my basement shop. Not very good lighting but you'll get the jist.

224324.jpg

Tom,

Great cut-away.

If it comes apart again I'm wondering if the upper disk couldn't be pinned to the spindle through a larger "window hole" in the outer "Delta Grip" layer.

(I'm assuming that the threaded portion rides up-and-down on the spindle.)

Just a thought.
smile.gif

Jeramiah

Guess it could be pinned but it would require a drill press to do that!

Well I could use my Pratt & Whitney no.3 Mill!

Hi, I joined this group because of this DP220 thread. I just picked up a DP220 at an estate sale, it all looks in good condition except the belt is a wreck. I found the part number 49-387 but it seems obsolete. Measuring the old belt gives me 38 to 40" which is a bit vague. Do any of you know the correct size and a supplier to obtain a replacement? TIA.

John - the 49-387 belt was used on multiple brands, all discontinued as far as I could find. I did find specs for it here at the bottom of the page. Clicking on the link for the 49-387 shows a nominal OD length of 40.5 " and a 4L (1/2" or 12.5 mm.) width. Shouldn't be too hard to find
thumbsup.gif

John must have found a belt (he hasn't logged back in since he posted the question)......
bash.gif

Hi Jeff, Sorry, misplaced my login details! Thanks for the reply, the original belt (if it was original) was a 3L so I had ordered a 3L390 and 3L400 from Bestorq. The 40" belt works fine but now I know it should be a 4L I'll get a replacement. Appreciate your help, Best regards, John

Latest posts

Back