• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 2185

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarrington

displayname
steve arrington
I'm thinking about buying a CC 2185 to use to mow 1 acre. Would this be a good sized mower for 1 acre? Are there any know problems with this model number? I'm not familiar with the CC's from this range of years. Is this model more of a garden tractor or a lawn tractor? What is a similiar tractor in todays numbers?

Steve,
I've got a 2185 with a 48" deck. It cuts my .5 acre yard in about 1/2 hr. I could go faster if I didn't have to worry about the flowers and trees!
I've had it since June and I like it alot, but there is a design problem with this model. The heat shield over the muffler is flat and horizontal, providing a perfect place for grass, leaves, etc to build up. If you don't keep it clean you can have an engine compartment fire...very common on this model. If you look at the 2185s on Ebay, almost all of them have a blackened grill on the front left side because of this.
I keep mine clean and I've got no other complaints.

BTW, the 2185 was the top of the line tractor in the 2000 series. I think it retailed at around $3995.
It has the power to pull a plow or tiller and I've got a snow blade on mine and it works great. It's much more than a lawn tractor.

Michael M: Re the 2185: It has plenty of power but the 2185 has a Cast Aluminum rear end and thus is NOT recommended for ground engaging equipment, like a turning plow or tiller. A snow blade is apparently ok. That is one reason why Cub Cadet returned to the Cast Iron rear ends in 2001 (or so) in some 2000 and all 3000 series models.

I should add that I own one and they are great mowers and believe that they will handle a 1.5 acre lawn easily.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Myron i gotta disagree I owend a highly modified 2185 and used an 002 tiller till I wore the tines off. That trans will do it. It was originally designed for a replacement trans for the GT's prior to 1997. The reason for the cast iron mainly was perception due to early 3000's leaking. By year 2000 the alum 3000 series trans did not leak but did have a black eye in the perception area. now of course the 2500 series has cast iron but essentially ahs the same guts as the 2185 trans

Hi,

I have a 2185. I bought it used and it has over 500 hours on it. My yard is a little rough and it handles it nicely. I added a 15 gallon sprayer to the back to spray weeds as my yard is fenced and wasnt well taken care of before me. Two things I don't like about he 2185 is that it will spin if the tires get a little wet and you try to pull a small hill and the deck wheels I've had problems with. With the sprayer, the slipping problem is minimized, though. The shield over the muffler was removed on mine when I got it, so I haven't had to many problems with trash, but like others have said, keep it clean. The only other thing I would like, is a beverage cup holder.....

Stuart

52439.jpg

Latest posts

Back