• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Clear or No clear

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcox

displayname
David W Cox
For all you painting gurus I have a question about clear coating. I am currently working on the mule drive and hanger for a 44c deck. Once this is complete I'll start on the deck. I am using rattle can paint. At first I was skeptical because the can from Cub Cadet says WHITE but looks very creamy to me. I thought I'd made a terrible mistake but after cleaning a spot on the hanger I was pleasantly surprised that it too was more of a cream color than white. I have taken the entire system apart and ground every bit of rust and old paint off. Sprayed everything with Rusty Metal Primer and top coated with paint. Should I apply clear coat as well to help protect things or will the paint alone be enough. This deck will be used for weekly mowing of 1.5 acres. Thanks

"Rattle-Can" paint will only hold up- if you store the tractor indoors. and keep it clean,... you will be fine.
Most rattle can paint is acrylic enamel these days... as lacquer is being banned everywhere.
IF you want longevity... you need to strip to bare metal, put an epoxy primer, and use an acrylic enamel, or acrylic urethane topcoat.
IF you want to use a clear- use a high-solids clear. This is more moisture resistant, and the solids are more protective against scratches and routine wear.

"Rattle-Can" paint will only hold up- if you store the tractor indoors. and keep it clean,... you will be fine.
Most rattle can paint is acrylic enamel these days... as lacquer is being banned everywhere.
IF you want longevity... you need to strip to bare metal, put an epoxy primer, and use an acrylic enamel, or acrylic urethane topcoat.
IF you want to use a clear- use a high-solids clear. This is more moisture resistant, and the solids are more protective against scratches and routine wear.
Thank you.

Probably not much sense putting clear on a deck. If you are going to use it, it is going to get scuffed and stained no matter what you put on there.

Latest posts

Back