• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

42" cast end deck restore

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmacdonald

displayname
James MacDonald
I have finally started to dig into my model 70, 42" cast end deck. I stripped it down and have been trying my hand at electrolysis. I've been using a plastic trash barrel standing the deck vertically 1/2 section at a time. It's coming out pretty good: some places are down to bare metal and others are black. My big concern is what to do about the flash rust. Being a novice I imagine I should spray it with some rustoleum rusty metal primer? Also would I fill in the pits with a type of body filler before or after priming?

While stripping down the deck I found a few stress cracks that need to be welded. Some are under the two rear mounts where the hangers attach. I found two washers on each bolt under these brackets, and that doesn't look right to me. I am thinking it causes stress by them not sitting flat. I wish I could find a parts diagram/service manual that shows each and every part as I reassemble. I have the operators manual, and the GS1355 38" rotary mower manual (couldn't find one for 42" mowers). As a novice I need something like my TC-133 that shows every part, and size. Parts lookup doesn't have the detail I need.

I also need to come up with a plan to straighten out the metal along the lower front edge, before applying any paint.

If this come out well, I will start to strip down the tractor a long delayed project!

The CPE-2 equipment catalog calls for 2 spacing washers for each bracket,1 on each bolt.The diagram shows the parts breakdown but only lists the hardware sizes.

Back