• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Changing 48” deck bearings

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstertz

displayname
joshua donald stertz
Hey guys, I posted more about this in the resto thread but dad’s 48” deck has a spindle that won’t take grease anymore and the bearings are starting to get loud. He took the cup off the deck but can’t seem to press the bearings out. Is there some sort of secret retention or just apply more pressure?

577BCAB6-7580-441E-8769-18BD1B88B4A0.jpeg

AF39EC39-9B7C-489C-906B-939654E98691.jpeg

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Dad loves his old 149 that we restomoded back in 2012 and he wants it ready for action for the 2020 mowing season which is coming fast in east central WI

Hi - I have the same problem(s) - this spindle assembly does not have individual bearings that you can press off - it is just the outer housing with the 2 races machined into it and then the spindle shaft has the inside races machined in it. to dissassemble you have to remove the bearing seals, then pop out the nylon ball seperators, move the balls to one side, etc. there is a good video on you tube. It's an optimistic design... the cup at the bottom will come off, but you need to use a gear puller to get it moving - it's a press fit. I still havent got the pulleys off the top of mine tho as they are so rusted up... trying to figure out how to convert to a more "modern" spindle. If I was in your shoes, knowing what I do now after beating on this damn thing for quite a while is - if you can get that cup off, try squirting grease in then, as if will be able to push the old grease out more easily, if you are successful, I'd put it back together and let er rip. "new" spindles are $80 from cc specialties. Cheers

Hey guys, I posted more about this in the resto thread but dad’s 48” deck has a spindle that won’t take grease anymore and the bearings are starting to get loud. He took the cup off the deck but can’t seem to press the bearings out. Is there some sort of secret retention or just apply more pressure?

View attachment 137648

View attachment 137649

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Dad loves his old 149 that we restomoded back in 2012 and he wants it ready for action for the 2020 mowing season which is coming fast in east central WI
I've got the ST-745 bearings for that. (y)

Thanks guys for the input. Charlie...we will be ordering from you soon.

Charlie—is that the part number for the replacement spindle assembly from you for this application?

Back