• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cadet 76 jumping upon clutch release

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jherman

displayname
Joe Herman
Hi folks, when I release the foot lever and am in gear, it doesn't matter which one, the tractor lurches violently and then rolls normally. If I start in 3rd gear the front end jumps about a foot off the ground. Any help would be appreciated.

try being a little more gentle with that foot lever. Your not side-stepping that thing are you, Hey, welcome

No matter how easy I am on the foot lever it just seems to catch and jump. Is there something I'm missing that can be adjusted?

Joe, sounds like something might be catching and hanging up in the idler pulley/clutch assembly. The manual does not have real good info on it but here it is. I would have someone press and release the clutch while you observe the parts moving and see if you can locate something hanging up. Please do this with the engine OFF!

167529.jpg

167530.jpg

167531.jpg

167532.jpg

167533.jpg

Joe, Check the traction surface of the belt (the two sides)just in case someone sprayed it with belt dressing which can make it sticky,or for burning and glazing from continuous slippage.Check to see that the "V" in the pulleys is not worn excessively.The belt must run on the sides of the groove and not in the bottom. A certain amount of slippage is needed as you release the clutch for smooth engagement. If a sticky or glazed belt is found replacement is usually necessary. If you replace the belt clean the pulley grooves to remove traces of belt dressing if is at all suspicious. When you install a new belt check that it fits properly in the grooves. If it rides down too far down in the groove the problem will probably come back. Oil dripping down from above on to the belt could also cause a problem and should be addressed.

Thanks so much. I took a peek under last night and found nothing that was hung up. I'm now in the middle of a through underside cleaning to clear any build up or residue. The belt is worn but not too bad. Once I get everything clean I'll try it again before buying a new belt.

Joe

Update...the cleaning didn't help the problem. I picked up a crank and drive belt today and it is now smooth. I also picked up a head gasket at the shop and decarbonized the head. Thanks for the assistance.
buttrock.gif

Joe, good to hear that you have it working well again!
thumbsup.gif

Back