• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cadet 482?/ No go after an hour.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbuttke

displayname
Lonny Buttke
My neighbor has a cadet 482, I think thats the number, anyhow he has been haveing problems with the hydro drive unit.
After an hour of mowing the lawn, the cadet slows to a stop. Will not go forwards or backwards. Oil level is at full mark.

Leave it sit overnight and alls fine for another hour than no go again.

What would be casueing this? bad swash plates? are they repairable? are parts advailable?

After talking with my neighbor I said I would ask here on the net to see if anyone else ran into this kind of thing and might know how to fix the problem.

Lonny,
Sounds like the drive belt has gone away on the little guy. Have him look under it and make sure the belt is in one piece. Also, the tensioner pulley and linkage is noted for gettin way out of wack too.

Charlie,
The drive belt looked good. I will have him take a closer look to make sure it is now worn down to the point of slippage.
Will also let him know about the tensioner pulleys and linkage.

Lonny/Charlie-

You mean a 382 Hydro? Looks like a small-scale red 1x8/9? My dad has a 382 hydro that did that. It would work for awhile and then stop. Guess the pump and motor assemblies wore. He went to the CC dealer and was told a new rearend was $600. The dealer also told him to drain out the Hytran and refill it with 90 weight. 15 years later, it's still working fine. Just can't use it in the winter. If you can't find anything else wrong I would try this. You don't have much to lose. Good luck.

Matt, you are correct, it is a 382 and not a 482.
I informed my neighbor of the advice recived here and asked that he let me know what he finds out.

I looked at the drive belt and it looked to be in great shape, no signs of slippage.

I told him also that if he cant fix it I have a gear drive rearend that might fit his, and that he would have to take it apart to see if it would work.

Lonny-

I'll add that if he puts the 90 weight in he needs to "flush" the hytran out. To do this, start the hytran draining, then when it's mostly out, start adding 90 weight and keep adding it until 90 weight starts coming out. Then put the drain plug back in. This will remove the majority of the hytran from the system, and the fix should work better this way.

ahh Matt the old shade tree mechanic (and not Richard C) approach at fixing the real problem. Too bad you are not doing the hydro any good by running gear lube through it.

(Message edited by hsimon on June 14, 2006)

Hugh-

Did you, by any chance, happen to read my other posts in this topic? Not only was this suggested by a Cub Cadet dealer, it worked. The 382 that we did this to still is in use 15 years later. The reason this is done is because the internal parts are already worn out. The transmission stops operating after the fluid warms up and gets thin, so it leaks past the pistons inside the cylinder blocks. Thicker fluid won't do this as easily, hence replacing the hytran with 90 weight.

Latest posts

Back