• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 03, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Thomley,

This sounds exactly like what may be happening. The motor does turn over very easily after it shuts down, but obviously it does not start. Sometimes, if I try to start it too many times after a shutdown, the motor backfires.

Is it a difficult process to perform the task you suggested?

I have been using mystery oil suggested for this issue, but maybe there is too much buildup.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Michael R -

A new filter and Hy-Tran is a must do. Until I brought it home, my 123 lived most of its life outside. When I popped the rear cover, I got a little Hy-Tran (or some oil-like substance) and a lot of water. I jacked up the front of the tractor to get most of the residual goop out, and then stuck a small trouble light in the case to dry things out. Then I used clean rags to soak up the goop that didn't run out voluntarily. Buttoned it up and added new Hy-Tran and a Cub Cadet Filter. Runs like a champ.

To fix the sticky valve problem you would need to do the following. <font size="-2">(I am sitting at my desk at work so hopefully I don't forget anything).</font>

1. You would need to remove the head of the motor(10 head bolts on a K341) remember later to re-install and tighten them per the manual. Meaning which to tighten first and the torque spec.
2. Remove the air cleaner and carb.
3. Remove the valve cover, again paying attention to what come off first and which direction each piece is installed.
3. Remove the valves, you will need a spring compressor for this. ($20.35 plus shipping-I'll post this in the correct place.) Here again pay attention to which is the intake versus exhaust valve. The exhaust valve probably will look burnt, plus I think it will not stick to a magnet whereas the intake valve is magnetic.
4. Now you can you can clean this using a Valve Guide Reamer.

At this point you would want to clean up and reface the valves. Possibly regrind the valve seats for better contact(so they close completely), then lap in the valves-again for the best contact. Be sure to lap the valves even if you chose not to regrind the seats.

Also decarbonize the head and top of the motor block. When you get it back together it will run better than you can ever remember!

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I really enjoyed building it. Tom, I can only imagine how much your kids love that wagon. I would like to build one that is true to scale for my tractor... maybe one day.

Here's some more pictures in progress. This is what it started out as, a running but rough 125.

93667.jpg

93668.jpg

Here's some in progress pictures...

93669.jpg

93670.jpg

Here is the first time that my daughter saw the tractor, she was so excited, she was jumping up and down, clapping, and screaming.

93671.jpg

93672.jpg

Here are some before and after pictures, with my 1210 for size comparison...

93673.jpg

93674.jpg

93675.jpg

93676.jpg

Kurt, I love the Cub Cadet 125 but I do believe you have found a way to improve upon it.
drool.gif
Thanks for the additional photos.
thumbsup.gif

Shut up Art!
lol.gif

3 POINT LIFT for 169

Is the 3 point lift and lift link for the 582 the same as for the 169? Was thinking of using my brother's 582 3 point hitch as a model to fabricate one for my 169.

Thanks,

John-David Reaves Roll Tide

Craig, the rear tires are 16 inch pick-up rims, I had painted the center red, you can see it in some of the pictures. I really didn't like how it looked so, I decided to make some hub caps. They are made out of 1/8 inch aluminum that I cut into a circle with a router on a pivot point. Then I painted them, and used wood to make all of the "dimensional" pieces, and used 1/4 inch bolts to finish them off.

Bill Benham, a few days late, but I saw you just got a 149. You won't regret restoring it. I did mine a few years back and it turned out great. I use a 42" snow blade all winter long and just got a rear tiller this year. Mow with it also from time to time and this old girl just runs and runs. When I redid it, I put some money in it.(okay, alot of money) If it was bad, it got replaced. The only problem I ever had was the roll pin on the drive shaft broke the other day. Get yourself some manuals and have fun. Nick

ok, did the grounding out of the "F" terminal on my starter generator, and it did pull the motor down and charge way over on the gage which should tell me the starter generator is working correctly. but I still get nothing on the gage while it sets there and runs. changed the voltgage regulator, and now it charges way over in the charge side?? Is it still the voltgage regulator, and I switched to the wrong one?? I believe the one I just tried is off my 105, maybe its not the same as the one for my 149?? can anybody tell me what I should look at next? thanks.mcaruth

I can't compare to the "genius" that has been coming out of the wood work lately but a couple guys wanted to know how I was accessing the engine with the wide frame cab on the 102. The cab tilts back on hinges I made from Deere snow plow parts and a steel cable to limit travel. Plenty of room now.
93692.jpg

93693.jpg

93694.jpg

Brendan,
That's actually a pretty slick idea.
thumbsup.gif

Two things that would make it better, just in case you haven't thought of them yet.
Come up with some sort of latch system for the front of the cab as it will bounce on ya. I know they are heavy, but it will bounce.
Beef up the foot rest supports too.
Just a thought.
proud.gif

John-David Reaves,

You can only use the rear lift lever from the 582 on your 169 and possibly the lower hitch link that mounts to the transmission case if it is the 3-hole type. Check out the parts lookup link and look up the hitch installations for the two different models and you will see the differences.

Charlie, We're on the same page
thumbsup.gif

I have latches but haven't put them on, not really impressed with them so I'm gonna take them back and get something a little more secure. Right now each side bolts down to plates that are bolted to the floor boards. I do have to change those plates to reinforce the floor boards some more. When I do I will grind the bolts to a blunt point to use as locating pins. Just needing some refinements. Appreciate the compliment, thank you.
Oh, also gonna put a light spring on that cable to keep it out of the way when closed, probably do that today.

Charlie-
Do you have anything for when Kraig boasts about the 125's being the "BEST"????

<font size="-2">...Which we all know is NOT true!</font>

Oh yeah!
Slant Tongue.gif
greenthumb.gif

93701.gif

Now that Charlie added that to the GIF collection I might have to change my profile photo....

Just had to stop by for a minute I just went and picked up my new found friend a 126 everything there "PLUS" a rear 1 point hitch or whatever we are calling those things. Got to go home and mow with it!!!!!!!!!!!!
animatedihbear.gif

I hope my 1650 (Gus) dose not get jealious!! LOL

Pops-----
old.gif

WOW its been a L O N G time since i've been on, hey, is it a crime to paint homeade thing, no-name brand attachments, and homeade attachments cub yellow? I think it makes everything look better.

Latest posts

Back