• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through October 28, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
Kendell - IH had a LOT of foundries, BIG one in LVL, also had a forge shop but they only made gear blanks & shafts. Frt axle & whole rear end housing is Cast Iron on CC's until IH them MTD started making alum. diecast parts like axle carriers, etc.

Years ago when I was casting buyer at the food/chemical equip. company We made "Homogenizers", just like the name implys, homogenized everything from milk to paint, You name it. Machines were a class 30 gray iron (30,000# tensile) joined by 17-4 HP studs about 1-1/4" dia. (200,000#+ tensile) attached to 15-5 PH Stainless steel (150,000# tensile) These homogenizers were similar in design to an old JD 2-cyl. tractor engine. Yes, They would break, but the cyl. blocks or studs would fail before the cast iron main casting would fail.

Cast Iron has a pretty good margin between it's yeild point and tensile point.

Ok I will use the enter key thanks for that info I didnt like looking at it myself and thanks for explaning the whole spacer thing that makes sense now.
For the regulator if there is no ground on it at all how does it connect ground for the field to work?

Teaser spring Question -
I have a 122. Put a new teaser spring in about 3 years ago and it broke again.
Question - any way to get more life out of the thing? Am I not adjusting things right?
OR
Can I put a washer between the spring and the pressure plate, thus reducing the risk of the spring in some way getting caught by the plate itself?

Thank you.
Peter

i called the guy about that O to see about picking it up tomorrow and he said someomne else had already offered him $400 but if that didnt pan out he would still take $200

Michael:
The base of the regulator is supposed to be connected to ground..
Peter:
I think Wayne Shytle just answered that question on the last page.....
Dennis:
Maybe the NF axles were left to cool longer.....
Matt:
So HE weaseled on you???? Man, what nerve!!!!

Kendell Ide
clappy.gif
Shotgun.gif

Matt Stater: We have a discount/surplus store here who's motto is "YOU SHOULDA BOUGHT IT WHEN YOU SAW IT AT MARDENS" Gut instinct is usually the way to go.
confused.gif

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciat it greatly. Thanks again.

well i told the guy id buy it but i took it as one of those first come first serve deals.

Just wanted to let you all know my cub charges awesome thanks to all. Mike

<font color="0000ff">i am new here, just got a 1962 model 70 looks real good for it's age and run's great.will put pics in soon.</font>}

I saw somewhere on here about how to strengthen the lift rod for the snow blade. I had to fab a new lift rod today after realising mine was too short. I plowed some hard pack dirt and the rod was bending ALOT! I think it was Kraig who posted the pics, but I'm not sure, on how to "beef" it up. I tried searching but I dont think I'm putting the right words in. Could anyone help?

Not in this case either.
When my 129 tire hit the tree, the axle didn't break at the pulley gouges (it does have some), rather it broke between the gouges and the spindle. Because we were concerned for the cast-iron repair is why we left the 'splint' in place. I cleaned and painted the whole thing and you'd never notice the splint being there unless you get down on your hands & knees....

Ryan Wilke
coffee.gif

what is the name for those things that held the front spindles on early originals i keep drawing a blank and i need some for my knock off No.1 cart project. i dont mean i want some from an "O" but i want new ones

Thought I would slip here for a min and say hi. How has everyone been around here?

Matt:
Did you check the parts lookup??
"steering knuckle collars" and they're NLA....

KENDELL - I was never able to visit any of IH's foundries when I worked for IH. As would be expected they were all high volume foundries, very automated.

Removing the freshly poured iron casting from the mold early creates "Chilled Iron" which does have some unique properties. It's really hard but more brittle. Too hard to machine economically. With today's cutting tool technology just about anything can be machined but gray iron should machine with anything sharper & harder than a pointed stick.

I'm not sure about some of IH's other foundries like the old foundry at FARMALL, LVL, Memphis, Indy, etc. but I know their foundry in Waukesha, WI. pours Ductile Iron, also known as Nodular Iron, and I've seen it called "Semi-Steel" on old blue prints. It's different than gray iron, it's heat-treatable to refine grain structure but still has the ability to dampen vibration like gray iron. It would have made some really bullet-proof components, it's typically 2-3 times stronger than the common grades of gray iron.

Latest posts

Back