• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 17, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored on a beautiful QA-36 snowthrower for $150.00. Totally overhauled and painted, new bearings, gearbox shimmed correctly and fresh lube. A good friend made me the deal of a lifetime that I couldn't pass up. I'm going to run this one this winter after swapping my electric chute rotator over from the QA-42.

318275.jpg

318276.jpg

David K,

Nice score! That QA-36A looks better than new.

Charlie,

Thanks for trying on steering seal retainers. I'll make sure to keep the old ones going fwd.

Dave Kirk....nice thrower...like your dolly under it...I do the same to store and move mine!!
Mr. Plow....My Dad had a 234 mounted picker on our 806..Then when he traded it, The next owner put an ice cream cab on it, think the bottom half of the door was separate. looks like in the picture, it might be off to swing out over the picker, good picture, brings back good memories from the farm!!

David K - that is a nice looking QA36A and sounds like you got a great deal. But I don't understand why you want to use it instead of your QA42A??? Is something wrong with your 42?

Charlie - don't those Snubbers come by the gross?
biggrin.gif

Got a few questions for all you Kohler engine re-builders out there. I am digging into my K341 from my 169. The engine ran when I purchased it, but knew the key seat on the PTO end was tore out and will need a different crank shaft. There is no history on the tractor or engine since the previous own had passed away.

I checked the bore today at work in our inspection room at lunch time. Set up the micrometer and bore gage to 3.7730 as the block had a .020 stamp on the head gasket area. My measurements are as follows 90 degrees to each other:

About 1" from the top. 3.7698, and 3.7697

Middle around where the stud boss is for the valve cover: 3.7699, and 3.7704.

Bottom of the bore just above the drain hole; 3.7694, and 3.7701.

I want to say my worst case out of roundness on each plane comes from the measurements from the bottom bore. 3.7701-3.7694=.0007 which is well in spec of .003 that the manual calls out.

For tapper worst case comes from the middle bore largest measurement at 3.7704 and smallest measurement bottom bore 3.7694; difference being .001; well in spec of the manual calling out no more than .002.

I realized after taking these measurements and comparing them to the chart in the manual that the standard size bore new is 3.7505/3.7495 and that it can have up to .003 over the high limit as a maximum measurement. I set the micrometer and bore gage to 3.7730 basically figuring .003 max wear. Does that mean my measurements are .0025" higher than they should be?

I am wondering if I measured, the tapper, and out of roundness correctly? If I had the micrometer and bore gage set correctly the first time. It looks like the cylinder is right on the high end and would need to bore it to .030. and if I need to subtract .003 from each of my measurements; would I be able to have my engine builder hone the almost non existent vertical scratches and use a .020 piston? I know this will also depend on what the new piston skirt measures as I will need a new piston as the old one is scored pretty bad above the compression ring.

I kinda have a feeling if I am able to use a .020 piston by the time it needs to be rebuilt again it will be wore well within the .030 and overhauling to .030 will have a shortened life. But I guess that could go the same way too with using a .020 piston.
err.gif

What do you experts think?

Everything else seems easy to measure and is straight forward except for the valve spring height. I could not find that chart it's referring to or it's missing from the chart. If anyone knows what that is suppose to be it would be a big help.

Thanks, and everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy thanksgiving giving to everyone in cub land,Jim wish I had an answer for you but I’ll bet one of the Jedi Council of elders will help you out

Latest posts

Back