• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 09, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff,

I believe that the part number is IH-489397-R3 which is the one that you posted. It is still available, that is the same belt that I use on my 125 with QA48 deck, and I replaced mine this year. Hope this helps

Jeff H.
Some one may have a better idea but I suspect you are going to have to peel the muffler off with a small chisel or something. Maybe try hitting it with something like PB Blaster when it is hot first and then let it stand for awhile.

On the backfiring you probably have a carbon buildup in the head or a blown head gasket. If you have a blown head gasket you will see a black sooty area on the cylinder just below the head gasket.

Whenever I have one backfiring I remove the head and clean up the head and block, replace the head gasket, and install new points, condensor, and plug if it hasn't had a tune up lately. You can do all of that pretty cheap, doesn't take long and you are good to go for years. If I still have problems I will rebuild the carb but always leave that for last.

I haven't posted in a while but I have a perplexing carb problem. I've got a late 1980 782 with the original KT17S in it. Mine is still running fine (knock on wood) but I let my nephew (who is now learning to be an F16 mechanic at Selfridge ANG...may the Lord help all F16 pilots) rebuild the carb. After he was done I, ahhhh, sorta had to do it again and the tractor seems to run just dandy. BUT, when I shut down it is apparently leaking fuel into the crankcase somehow. I've had the carb back off a couple times trying to figure out what might be wrong but can find nothing noteworthy. I've resorted to putting a clamp on the line every time I park to avoid contaminating my oil. So, does anyone have any suggestions??? I'm fresh out of ideas about what is wrong in there. Thank you.

Jeff M...The IH-489397-R3 belt is still a valid part number. Cub Cadet has somewhere between 1,400 and 1,450 of these belts on hand (as of today). SO>>>>>>>getting one should not be a problem!

Hugh S...don't even think about putting a rice bowler under that 582 hood. Get a Kohler V-Rod and live to mow, mow to live.......Quiet mufflers save lives and hearing!!

(Message edited by kupdike on May 10, 2005)

Well, I started to tare my 73 down this weekend for a little refurbishment. I have decided to go about this one a little bit different, I dont want to divulge too much right now but I will say that there is Red in the future of this 73
buttrock.gif
. Here are a couple of pics that I snapped after we got back from pressure washing the frame.
ihrotate.gif

27990.jpg

27991.jpg

27992.jpg

27993.jpg

DAV BECK CHANGE HYDRO SWASH PLATE THE BOTTOM ON TOP . THAT WILL SWITCH REVERSE SPEED WITH FORWARD . YOU WILL SEE THAT THE SWASH PLATE HAS A HEAVY STOP PLATE ON THE BACK OF IT.

Boy you can't trust anybody anymore, I was gone awhile this morning and left the gate open. Come home and see somebody dropped off this ugly duck. At least they left a box of new parts and some manuals.

27995.jpg

Richard C,
What the ehck are you gonna do with a NF and an O to boot!
Arizona is gonna freeze over for sure now!
eek.gif

Richard,

Thanks so much for the info, I will work on those items.

Jeff H.

Ken- I personally prefer a newer Honda engine over the newer Kohlers JMO. and I would run a straight pipe cause Loud Pipes save Lives. LOL

Thanks for the help on the drive belt guys. Here's what happened...The other day at my dealer I got the new parts guy. He entered the IH part # 489397 R3 like I gave him, in the computer...showed not available. I assumed I had a worong part #. Went back today, told him to check again, other parts person stated...be shure to check in Cub Cadet, not Case...BINGO, there was the problem. Belt ordered. Thanks again, Jeff

Could someone with a model 72 or similar post few pictures with the mower deck mounted? I just bought the 72 with a snow plow and mower deck but the deck is not attached and I have never seen one put togehter. The grass is a growin' and I need to get a mowin'. Thank you.

Digger,

Thanks a lot for the info. I got the email and plan on installing the mower tomorrow night. You might like to know that you also helped the widow next store to me. I plow her driveway and cut her grass sice she can't do it. The mower will make the job easier. Thanks again.

Keith

Those are 8.50 Carlisle Power Trac's

Kevin Dunham and Steve Blunier, thanks so much for the info I was seeking on converting my 1250 to rear wheel steering.

Dave,

Steve got that one, 8.50 Carlisle Power Tracs. I like them, good tires for the price.

Was doing some work on my QL today and wondered if anyone out there ever did a QL in Red? It would probably look pretty cool.

Chuck

It might look something like this...

28007.jpg

On second thought, its not as cool as I thought it would be.

Chuck

Back