• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 18, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey!! I got snow too!!
rant.gif

Boy how soon you forget your neighbors Charlie!
shame.gif

However, we only got an extra 1/2" last night. Not the three inches they promised.
bash.gif

Thanks for the movies, Charlie. Fun to watch the Cubs moving snow. Some guys are just lucky and always get more than others.
shame.gif

No snow here in N/E Illinois to talk about, although about 20 mi. north od here got a whopping 3".

Hey Charlie,
Were you able to ring the dinner bell with the QA??

Rumor has it that there is some serious IH Red(2150) shootin' and tool hoistin' going on in the Elgin area, along with 4-5 guys with a White and Yellow "haze" in their eyes. Any comments???

Charlie, I seen two guys in the field last weekend ;-)

(Message edited by tschweizer on March 19, 2005)

Snow

Had some fun, probably about 11" over all. The phrase "perfect storm" comes to mind -- substantial snow, dry and threw well, not too cold out, not windy, and came on a weekend when I didn't have to try to get in to work. Grin.
26463.jpg

26464.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of the slip clutch thing that you can put on the end of an electric lift? Is this a factory item or aftermarket? The local dealer didn't have anything in the parts book that i could identify. I would like to buy or build one. If I can get one from a sponsor can someone send me a telegram?
coffee.gif

Thanks,

(Message edited by tcbusch on March 19, 2005)

I have a question about the steering mod using a thrust bearing . I have checked several online bearing sites and the local Bearing Inc. store about the bearing numbers (4457-00 mfr GBC and the 605V mfr NICE) posted a couple of days back.The question is the thickness of the bearing is .34 inches and doesn't allow room to use double nuts what are you using to lock the bearing ? thanks Dave

Dave R. -

If you read our FAQ, you'll see that a lock nut (specifically, a low-profile one) is used:<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

When I reassemble it I put on a new gasket and attach the side plate with a washer, a thrust bearing (Nice605}, washer, and a <font color="ff0000">lock nut</font>. Adjust the lock nut until the gasket starts to compress.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>There's even a picture there to help you out.

charlie.....we did not receive any of that snow in south-western ontario, just some rain
thumbdown.gif
....dennis,i removed the brake parts and sandblasted them, and prep them for painting.thanks again for the help.
Have another qustion for all...in respect to the hinge for the hood....noticed that the one on the 1200 was painted black (it's sand blasted now),my buddy Rob F. says his was white when he repainted his 1450,so he repainted it white,...i check my 1450 and notice it is also black,when we look at manuals,it seems to show white.....so what is the scoop,were some white and some black based on serial numbers,....personaly the black seems to go better with the sticker as a finished product.

Glen S. -

The scoop is quite simple. Engineering photos can't be trusted because what you see isn't what you get at the dealer. Note that the operator's manual shows the engine, heat shield and "firewall" as white. But they were most assuredly black on every Quiet Line I've seen.

No black helicopters or second gunmen here
wink.gif

Oh, and remember, POs (previous owners) have been known to do some STRANGE things to these tractors. So unless your friend is the original owner, who knows what colors the PO might've painted things or why.

One other thing to thing about (which probably doesn't apply to this hinge) is that service parts could come in red, white, yellow or black. No rhyme or reason, probably just whatever was being done on the line at the time.

End of season work

As the obvious end of snowblowing season sets in, and this is the first real year I've had my (20 year old) rig, what is the routine for putting my H42 thrower to bed for its summer rest? The unit was purely functional to the previous owners...not abused, but not cared for as a revered piece of history, either. There is some obvious rust, paint scraped off, etc. I assume a true restoration would mean pulling it apart entirely, sandblasting (I can only imagine the horrors of trying to hand sand something with all the nooks and crannies that this has) and then spraying with a good paint. I ain't a goingta do that. But unless the miracle paint has been invented that allows me to sand light, and spray over rust and cause it to stop dead in it's tracks, I'm not sure what to do with the thrower; my intent is to have it last as long as it can, yet not treat it like a '56 Chev either.

What do you guys do? Is it worth spraying the bare areas with something like a light oil?

Thanks for another newbie answer.

Dale

Dale R,
I think you pretty much answered your own question didn't ya!
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I ain't a goingta do that.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I spose if your not planning on keeping the thrower, oil it up and throw snow for as long as it last.
It's kinda like doing work on anything with these old machines and attachments.
Do the work and they will work for ya.
Don't do the work and you'll pay the price down the road. Just my 3 cents on the deal.

Dale R. -

I suppose you can try spraying the rust spots with that spray that turns rust into "black primer" then painting over it, but I don't know how well it holds up.

That said, I took a right-angle grinder with a wire cup (not to mention safety glasses - I wish someone made a kevlar t-shirt, too!) to my QA-42A, stripped it, primed then painted it. It's good enough for work and has held up pretty well.

Won the bid on the 20 mag kohler. Got it for $126. I set it in the 582 and it looks OK. I'm missing a few parts to connect the engine to the clutch driven plate. When I got the 582 there was no engine or any part that bolted to it. Not sure what parts I need but whatever bolts to the flywheel and connects to the driven plate and clutch disk. Emailed a sponsor above last Thursday but haven't heard anything from them.

26474.jpg
26472.jpg

26475.jpg
26473.jpg

Heh, well at least they're back
happy.gif
I was getting DNS errors part of today.

Can one of the guru's with a parts manual cross referrence KH-47-853-29 for me? Trying to see if this is the replacement part number for a carb for the K301.

I keep reading notes that it's a replacement carb for the 1650.

Back