• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 22, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbowman

displayname
bobby l. bowman
Ian;

A "Brush Hog" is a brand of walk behind mower/brush cutter; the name being taken from a "bush hog" cutter being driven by a tractor PTO. I've seen several garden tractor decks cut out in the front to allow heavy weeds and light brush to be mowed with a regular garden tractor/mower;especially down south where we can get away with "redneck bush hawgs"! LOL!
I hate to see a Cub Cadet deck cut up for this,but it does work!
lazerburn.gif

Hey, Don T: Ready for this?
poof.gif

My bad.
whistling.gif

beer2.gif
icon_jam.gif
Slant%20Tongue.gif
sorry.gif
bottom.gif

That was fun. Now, I'll add under edit. When I caught this sickness was when I found a 105 that wouldn't move. That was my initiation to stuck down relief valve syndrome. Then we got a computer. Then I found this site. I may never know if it's a blessing or a curse.
Oh, and the brush hog statement reminded me of the 105. "It slices, It dices, It mows little trees like you wouldn't believe"!
biggrin.gif

bobby, the 70/100 cast end decks were actually made like that, but you've got the purpose correct the notch allows the high grass and weeds to get cut without bending over and missing the blades, i to have seen other decks cut up like that tho,

Hello Frank C. lol are you getting
poof.gif
. I would like to thank you for selling me the 149, it will plow a garden plot. I had a blast.
153581.jpg

I `an waiting for paint to dry so the 129 can go back to working.here is a pic of all my Cubs*except the 129*
153582.jpg

I have work all planed for the 129.
153583.jpg

Did i say i need a mower belt! i thought that i would have 1 soon
1a_scratchhead.gif

Later Don T

Finally got my PTO clutch working properly.Dug out my old double spring set-up that is supposed to go with my clutch. (Thanks and props to Myron for clearing up things for me the other week). When I bought a new clutch kit from my local dealer he didn't mention that there were 3 different types and sold me the wrong one. I didn't know any better then but now I know which part # to ask for.

Hey guys, My dad still has an original series cub cadet that his dad bought back in '60 or '61, and he bought it with a Woods 48" front mount mower. I'm not sure if it was through IH but maybe a dealer, Woods option, anyway, it came with the cadet from day one. I still used it up until about 6 yrs ago, it's unbelievable how well the grass goes tru the high clearance Woods deck. Dad put an 8 hp Koeler in it 30 some yrs ago, now him and the grand kids are restoring it.
Sorry for rambling, but are there any other FM woods decks on original cadets out there?
Chad

For those who might have missed it, I got my first chuckle today:
153589.jpg

Then came this:
153590.jpg

AANNDD, if you don't already know, hold your cursor (not to be confused with curser, which we have to be, sometimes) on the pic and it will do magic.

Ge i just looked at my post and don`t see the 125. But i did find this lol. Can some one tell me who this old guy is lol
clappy.gif

Don:
First glance at your garden plot picture, I thought it was from a bad infestation of ground moles..
1a_scratchhead.gif

Chad....
worthless.gif

Frank...what it spoda do ? I've done that and it don't
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don't listen to him (Kendell), Don. That's a very nice first turning/try. Did it progress from there?
Brenden: I don't know what to tell ya. When I post a pic I have a chance to name it. Then, when it's posted, I can hold the cursor over it and see what I named it as. I thought everyone could do it,
1a_scratchhead.gif

CHARLIE: Did you get my email about the bunch of NOS (mostly B&S) parts that I have to dispose of?

well Ken that was my first attempt at plowing and i know what i did wrong. but i got er done.and the owner of the garden was happy. It looks different now after i ran my (3 set) disk over it . i had a picture here to post but can`t get it resized to under 124. Can`t have fun tonight. Later Don T

Bobby & Tom
Thanks for the heads up on the deck. The guy I bought this one from fancies himself as an expert on all things Cub Cadet and told me the deck on this 100 was called that. On his behalf, he's got a ton of them.
Now, I've got two Cubs to go with my two Scouts. My wife thinks I'm retarded.
Ian

Ian, The 38" and 42" pin on decks are open in the front, I guess they made them that way to mow high grass. I have used mine to mow grass that was high as the hood. Maybe that is were he got that idea.

I'm with TOM on this Bush Hog deal, In the 45 yrs I've been around Cub Cadets I've never heard of a mid-mount mower called a "Bush Hog".

M&W Gear did make a front-mount weed cutter and there were a couple other companies, HABAN, and maybe ROOF Mfg. that also made a similar attachment. Maybe KRAIG will have a pic He can post, I used to have the M&W brochure showing the frt-mount cutter & M&W 9-speed attachment for the '61 to '63 Cub Cadets.

You can mow tall weeds & very small brush with the mid-mount mower decks but it's REALLY hard on belts & blades. Plus once you've driven over the weeds/brush You have to mow over them again a couple more times in reverse and forward to actually cut anything.

Frank:
It was a joke ..... apparently you guys don't have ground moles in the Northeast....
wedgie.gif

When in Florida over the winter, I noticed that what we call "Brush Hogging" in the North is called "Bush Hogging" down there, must be one of those "pop" - "soda" things.. I didn't know that brush (bush) hogging with the mid-mount was bad for the belts and blades, I always had worse times on the front lawn with gravel and stones chewing up those hard edge blades... In the time I've had it, I think I've spent more on blades than any other part on the tractor (except the black 301 crate motor, but that was an "investment in the future" )

Actually it's "Bush Hog" that is the name brand of the mowers that has become a sort of generic name for rear mount rotary mowers. Kind of like calling facial tissues Kleenex and inline skates Roller Blades. Anyway bush hog, brush hog either of those terms will get the point across that one is most likely referring to a rear mount rotary mower. I'll have to see what I can dig out for photos of front mount mowers for Cub Cadets. Then there are the flail mowers...

Back