• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 05, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MATT - If You have a frt PTO on that tractor the friction disc & pulley make a noise exactly like a bad rod bearing when they rattle....Flip the PTO on a time or two and if the noise stops for a bit it's the PTO. My old 72 has rattled so long I really expect the rod to jump out of the block & say "HI" sometime soon....
lol.gif

Anthony:

Not a bad idea but I'm not sure how I would strap it down while it was running. Then agian it could be fun chaseing it as it bounced around the garage.

Dennis:

The noise is really in a small RPM range so It could be the clutch. It's really quite hard to get a read on these engines, they're not the quiet or smooth. :p

You've got to love how simple they are though...

Matt- i have "cart" that i bolt the engine's on, for the small base kohlers with the deep trough pan i bolt a pair of heavy angle iron to the mounting base holes. everybody that sees the cart ask's what is that?. i tell 'em i desinged it for NASA, but they refused it!(it's an old Ariens rear engine rider frame). keep us informed...T

Matt,

Did you shim the cam to specs??? I had one that did that and it turned out that the engine builder "just replaced what was in there"...turns out the cam had .019" endplay. I ordered a shim, installed it to within spec and most of the 341 knock went away.

BTW, I think all 341's have some noises just off idle.....

Denny,

We did the H. Ford Mueseum in the AM and the factory Tour in the PM. We will be going back in a few years with the kids (when they are a little older) to do the Greenfield Village part.

Matt,
With the engine off, engage the pto, reach in and try and turn it back and forth a bit to see if there is any slop in the pto.
I had a 12hp that I thought had a rod knock until I removed the pto. the knock went away.
After inspecting the pto I found the disk fingers worn close to half way. I guess those 3 little anti-rattle springs are important to install after all.

Last evening I pulled the head and sure enough there was plenty of carbon buildup everywhere.I scraped and wire brushed it all off the head and the valves and seats.I didn't have a new head gasket but the original one was in good shape.I cleaned it up too and put it all back together.It ran fine with it's usual power.Unfortunately it was late and was raining too hard to go out and mow or run it for very long;so I don't know yet if my stalling problem is resolved.Here's hoping.Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep you posted.

Personally I preferred the Budweiser plant tour in St. Louis. Fascinating to Julie and I when we were kids, it had more meaning as adults
beer2.gif

Steve, many years ago when visiting some relatives in Michigan my parents took my siblings and I to Greenfield Village. The main thing that I recall is Thomas Edison's shop.

Bryan, I liked the Budweiser tour too, especially the free samples at the end!
happy.gif
Did you happen to visit the Missouri Botanical Garden when in St. Louis?

Kraig -

You betcha. Again, both as a kid and an adult. I think it's about time for another trip. We did Louisville last month, so it's St. Louis' turn this time...

Oh, and I plan to make another phone call today
wink.gif

Bryan, I've been to the Missouri Botanical Garden twice, both times as an adult. The last time was in September 1994 for the 20th anniversary of the Japanese Festival I had planned on going for the 25th anniversary but last minute car troubles forced me to cancel. :eek:(

35966.jpg

I hope that it turns out to be a good call.
happy.gif

Bryan: If you are touring the St Louis Brewery you are very near one of your members.............................................................ME!

I work at the St Louis headquarters Building.
Jim

Jim, do you get a free sample at the end of each work day?
happy.gif

It is two cases a month to take home.
We stopped drinking on the job in 1984.
Jim

KRAIG - Did You see the vial Henry Ford captured Edison's last Breath in? Kinda creepy....
BRYAN - After My last final in college a car full of Us went to visit ALL the breweries in Milwaukee.....There was a bunch more then than there is now!
We toured the Jack Daniels Distillery about 15 years ago... A young couple from Germany was in Our tour group.... She couldn't handle the slight odor of the fermenting area....Unfortunately there were no "Free Samples" at the end of that tour.... Lynchburg is in a dry county...

Denny, I don't recall that. What I remember most is the part on Edison's tests of the light bulb filament and I don't remember much of that. My poor memory might have something to do with those rides around the East side of St. Paul, MN in that Buick............

Denny,

If you or anyone else on the forum decides to take a tour again at Jack Daniels send an email
and I'll make sure you get a free sample before you leave. I work in the Vehicle Maintenance Dept. so anyone could call from the vistors
center and let me know you're here (ext. 6290).

EDDIE - Thanks for the offer. Wife & I have to make a trip down that way sometime. She's working on He Family history and Her Kin lived in that area 100 yrs ago. I'd like to get to Boling Green KY too.... Check out the Corvette Plant.... It was closed on Our last trip.
I remember the grounds around the distillery were very park like....It was Summer Shutdown.... around July 4th.... Things were pretty low key. Thanks again.

i have a K181 and the otherday as i stopped for a minute from mowing, the engine wanted to keep running after i shut it off! later as i returned from break, it started knocking pretty good after a few rounds! any ideas?

We visited the Dewar's World of Scottish whiskey in Edinburgh last week. They give all visitors a pretty healthy shot. Wife and I gave ours to another visitor that looked like he needed it. Talk about a smile!!
beerchug.gif

Latest posts

Back