• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 17, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm not sure why the clutch was slipping, I had it set to .025 not .25... my bad.... but it looks like I boiled the magnet sealant really good though. I guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy a new one. UGH! No idea how I screwed that up.

Good morning, Charlie! Maybe Earl has a better answer to your question than I do?
Slant Tongue.gif
happy.gif

Mike,
I gots mine info from the 782 operators manual,wonder why they are different.

Frank:
Thanks for the measurement on the points push rod on my k301. I have it installed and timing is done. I sure hate timing this engine. There should be an easier way at least to see where you are. I finally made some extra marks on the fly wheel to see where I was. That finally helped. Now to see it this solves my problem
Earl

There is a better way.

A CDI ignition and a crank trigger, but that probably belongs over in the pulling forum...

Ok, so just how does this A CDI ignition and a crank trigger thing work?
And how well would it work on the everyday tractor?
Like running it for 4 or 6 hours at a time?

A CDI ignition is a "captive Discharge Ignition". It's it's an electronic ignition just like on a car. And the crank trigger is just a ring that clamps to the outside of the crank. (Typically the PTO end on a puller, but could even go on the drive shaft with a mount to hold the other magnetic pick up. They always get lined up at 0 degrees at TDC.

Think of it as an MSD box for your small engine (cause it is). It even has a programmable time curve based on rpm. You want to set the timing at 15 degrees at idle and 25 degrees at WOT you can do that. Along with a soft rev limiter so it doesnt just explode. it even has input for throttle position sensor if you wanted to run one.

MSD Powersports (sister company to regular MSD) makes one used for go carts, Jr Dragsters and UTVs and such. It's not cheap, but HP cost money. And running 115 octane race fuel doesn't add anything unless you can advance the timing 20-40 degrees to keep it from melting down.

https://www.msdpowersports.com/JrDragster/

Ignore the part that says for Rhino 660. That's cause it's plug and play for it.

And 4-6 hours at a time... No problem. How long would you run a UTV if you had one?

Nearly all modern EFI small engines are running a true electronic ignition like this. This happens to be an upgrade when needing more control and more spark.

Nic: I think you meant to say "Capacitive Discharge Ignition" --we're talking about storing up a charge of electrons, not housing a bunch of prisoners.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back