• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 06, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Tim D - I can think of 4 and possibly a 5th version of sub-frames for snow blades. I believe 1 is specific to Originals, 2 versions for Narrow Frames (with variations in how they are installed), 1 for Wide Frames, and the possible 5th could be just a variation that CCC did to the original version for the Wide Frame.

Uncle Kraig - are you sure that isn't a concept you drew up??? And besides, the grill housing in the top pic is different than shown in the bottom pics of the concept. There are 3 horizontal bars in the bottom pics.

Harry, the prototype drawings were done by Keith Burnham. Bryan posted them quite some time ago:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Bryan D. McMeen, Keeper of the Holy Hy-Tran (Bmcmeen) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:16 am:

I apologize in advance for the size of these images (225KB each), but they just HAD to be posted. Yes, I X'd out the guy's city and state, don't need anyone here buggin' the poor guy...

We received the following e-mail:

quote:

I along with Harold Schramm and Leonard Paulius designed the original Cub Cadet in 1960 at F.E.R.E.C. (Farm Equipment Research and Engineering Center) in Burr Ridge, IL. I have pictures of our first prototype which incorporated the front part of the Cub tractor hoodsheet/gastank and the next iteration with the gas tank top and cast grille. I was responsible for the styling of the 2nd generation Cadets. Some features never made it. I'm really not interested in paticipating in your forum.

Thank you

Keith Burnham
Xxxxxx, XX
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Jeff, ill be using my 104 for grass,snow thrower,and maybe someday soon plow a nice garden. I also pull my cart behind it to move dirt now an then.

Harry, five versions. One version for the Original, three versions for the narrow frames; the "sleigh" type, the bolt on type and the Quick Attach type, and one version for Wide Frames. Here's a photo of the sleigh type:

301418.jpg

Attachments

• 301418.jpg
    301418.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 301418.jpg
    301418.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 135
Uncle Kraig - I just can't win these days. Did you edit those concept pics?

Now, on the snow blade sub-frames, I thought the only version for the Original was the Sleigh version. If there was another version do you have a pic?

Harry, actually I goofed,
bash.gif
should be two for the Original, the non-trip one and the sleigh. Two for the narrow frames, the bolt on and the Quick Attach, and one for the Wide Frames.

301422.jpg

Charlie, when I checked the parts lookup all of them showed the non-trip style as the only 42" one.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Attachments

• bash.gif
    bash.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 137
  • 301422.jpg
    301422.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 138
  • 301422.jpg
    301422.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 149
Harry, I did not edit the prototype images. They are as Bryan posted them.

There are actually 2 for the wide frames, but the last version needs to be discussed on the MTD page, as it has longer ears to accommodate the taller front ends of the tall super steer axle spindles.

If you purchase a yellow wide frame blade for your IH wide frame make sure you get the right height ears.

Steve, thanks for the info on the later WF sub-frame. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the later WF (aren't the 82 series on, sometimes referred to as "Spread Frame"?) models. Though I did spend time on my parent's 2072 back when it was new I never took to it so I have mostly ignored them. After +/-20 years and lots of repair issues with the 2072 my dad sold it to Art A. and bought a JD X585.
icon_eek.gif

Hydro Harry, looks like you were more correct than you thought.
thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• icon_eek.gif
    icon_eek.gif
    170 bytes · Views: 122
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 133
Bill J., the Original in the photo is the one that Bryan McMeen bought, and he and Dan Hoefler restored. (A photo of it in it's restored condition graces the top of the forum webpage) That photo was taken when it was new and that is the original owners daughter. I doubt she ever achieved Blunier Ramming Speed&#153;. BTW, Bryan sold me that dozer blade, it is presently in my shed waiting for me to finish painting it. I also have an extra part for it, a reproduction of the optional top extension. Bryan also sold me the mower deck from it. One of these days I'll finish refurbishing both of those attachments...
blush.gif

Attachments

• blush.gif
    blush.gif
    270 bytes · Views: 133
Uncle Kraig - boy ooh boy ooh boy, (this may be to technical) I don't consider the non-trip as having a sub-frame. Isn't it really just attaching brackets?

Amy,

I really like these Vredsteins, there're a good all around choice. Easy on grass, better in the soil and snow than the originals or at least in my opinion.

The original steer tire.
301435.jpg

New Vredsteins
301436.jpg

301437.jpg

Attachments

• 301437.jpg
    301437.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 301436.jpg
    301436.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 301435.jpg
    301435.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 145
  • 301437.jpg
    301437.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 301436.jpg
    301436.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 301435.jpg
    301435.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 132
Hydro, semantics; bracket/sub-frame, in this case they both do the same thing, namely mount the blade to the tractor.
dunno.gif
proud.gif

Attachments

• proud.gif
    proud.gif
    926 bytes · Views: 132
  • dunno.gif
    dunno.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 129
Thanks Harry for the input. drive way is dirt horse shoe shaped with a parking area on the one side of it. I get some pretty big drifts in and out of the drive. it runs east, west, so when the wind is out of the north which is most of the time they get pretty big. we're talking take a run with a 1 ton 4 wheel drive and hope for the best at the end. so I don't think a blade will do it. I have one but my VERY reasonably priced cub isn't running up to par. the carb kit is coming. after that it should be fine and hope to give the blade a try. not selling my cub short just want to look for one now and maybe give both a try and see. thanks

Your 124 looks like this,
301439.jpg

You need it to turn into this,
301440.jpg

Attachments

• 301440.jpg
    301440.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 301439.jpg
    301439.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 301440.jpg