• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 16, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott N - YIKES, I see the brake pedal is not locked on the 1450 in your profile. It's going to roll away from you (very slowly).

Hydro Harry

Harry, it's not going far...the 'arresting cable' underneath will snag the stop hook in the driveway...kinda like an aircraft carrier!
whistling.gif

Update: I started removing the pulleys from the 44C deck to put on the 44A shell.

Here are some pics:

235532.jpg

235533.jpg

What gives with the non-flanged spindle? Anyone know anything about this spindle?

I used penetrating oil (soaked the nuts on the spindles for a few days) and 2 of the 3 blades came off. The last spindle nut was a bear to get off. I tried penetrating oil, impact wrench, but it wouldn't budge. So I put some heat on it and no movement. Finally I tried (what I thought was an old wife's tale) melting wax on the bolt while heating. It looked to me when I removed the heat that the wax was being sucked into the threads. I did this a couple of times and the nut came off really easy with the impact wrench. Don't know if the wax had anything to do with it - anyone done this?

Thanks!!!
Bill

Ive used the wax trick many times with good success. I have a 44c mower deck also, on my 1450. Funny thing is when I put it on my 1200 it wont pick the gauge wheels off the ground and the 1450 raises it plenty.

Bill Jamison

The "odd" spindle bearing is probably original to the deck and uses a one-piece, non-replaceable "water pump" bearing; the other two are replacements for the ST-745 assembly, they use replaceable bearings. If you go to a dealer and ask for an ST-745, you'll get the part with the replaceable bearings. The "water pump" style bearings are no longer officially available from Cub Cadet, but Charlie carries them at Cub Cadet Specialties and my local dealer can supply them. The issue with the water pump style bearings is that the sheet metal upper and lower pieces need to be right to hold the outer bearing race in place.

Ironically, both assemblies cost about the same (the water pump style may cost a bit more), but the replacement cost on the bearings themselves usually push folks toward the newer style ST-745 bearing assembly. I haven't quite made up my mind myself, the water pump bearing is a high-quality assembly, the issue, to repeat myself, is holding it fast to the deck.

Bill Jamison

There is lots of old tricks to get the job done, I use acetone and autotrans fluid for a penetrating oil.Diesel fuel works great also. I did use wax also.Line pressure on my impact is 125 psi , If the bolt or nut don`t turn they usually break lol.wish I would have taken more time removing the screws from the foot plates on my 147, I think I only saved three .I will have to use a carriage bolt to put the plates back on. Just another improper mode that must be done. When you have finished your rebuild you will enjoy it more , I allways do
beerchug.gif

Hydroharry
The owner of the 149 is not the orignal owner. I do not know how long he had it. Actually the owner died and his wife is the one trying to sell it. She orginaly thought the 149 was worth 800, now down to 500. Good to know the tow in on front wheels may be ok. Im wanting to be able to work it.
Thanks David

I am guessing the 149 in question is made before april 74 since the tag is on the rear

Latest posts

Back