• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 07, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkortkamp

displayname
Larry
I wonder if he's ever used Blunier Ramming Speed ™...............

319318.jpg
}

319336.jpg
319337.jpg

Ok guys, I am piecing together the 127 that I had picked up last month. I finally lined out the starter generator issue and am now on to the steering column. After looking over the manuals and doing some reading online it seems like I have the correct steering shaft, but maybe not the correct steering box...
The picture on the left shows what I believe to be the 3 mounting holes for the steering column. When I crawl under the tractor to attach the steering column, I see no place at all where that 3 bolt pattern would connect to the tractor/steering box.
On the picture to the right I drew 2 circles that indicates where there are 2 holes on the cross member that I believe might actually be the connecting point for the column, but there arent any holes in the steer box to connect it to that point of the undercarriage.
My initial thoughts are that this is the wrong steering column. I hope that I am wrong and that it is the correct one though because I dont have the budget to be buying a new column, especially after just buying a new stater generator.
What are your thoughts?

Looks like a redneck snow plow.
err.gif

How does it raise up and down? Looks like it don't.
Probably would be difficult to plow without an angle too.

Charlie,

Is that a tractor you bought recently?
Did you know about the issues when you bought it?
yikes.gif

Christopher,

You are right, the marked circles are where the bolts go to mount the column. The steering arm is not correct either. I will post a pic in a minute of what it should look like.

Christopher,

Here ya go.
Sorry for the dirt, but it's not been touched (original "skin,"/condition).

By the way, noticed you are from NC like me, and a new member.
Welcome to the forum!!!
WELCOME.gif

319345.jpg

319346.jpg

319347.jpg

Also, nice clean looking tractor you have there.
Do you have any attachments for it?

Christopher: That's a beauty! Did you touch up the photo?
happy.gif
Break the budget and put the proper steering column and steering wheel on that thing and meet me here this time next year and say "thanks".
happy.gif

Christopher Y.
That's a Jaun Dear column.

Marty G.
Yep, I got it back in 2014.
The only issues it had back then was a small from seal leak, which will also be fixed now, LOL

Charlie, nothing pulls like an IH 400 series under load!, glad she's getting the attention she deserves!!!

You could make a heck of a snow fort with that "blade".....pack the walls up nice and square.....

BRS???? No way!!!!

Do you get splinters if it "trips"?????

Marty, Thank you for the info and for the pictures. I just picked up this tractor off a guy who had a barn full of "projects" and he told me that this was the column to go with it. Honest mistake on his part im sure. I had expected to simply buy a steering wheel for it and have it ready to go, but unfortunately I haven't been so lucky. I dont have any attachments for it yet but need to buy a mower deck for it ASAP prior to Spring's arrival. Any chance you are selling that column that you sent pictures of???

Digger, I was afraid that you would say that. :/

Frank, Your right, I should sell some stuff and come up with the money to get the correct parts on it. The guy who had done the restoration did a great job and Id hate to mess it up.

14's are awesome, but man the noise in those cabs, although in that cold I'd gladly live with it

Got a replacement crankshaft for the 169. I'm not doing any performance upgrades, but just wondering if it's worth the money to dynamically balance this? Would it cut down significantly on the vibration to the operator?

Also, is it worth the money on a steel leaded bearing insert? I would think it would save the crank pin from needing to be reground next time an overhaul is needed.

What do you experienced Kohler engine guys think?

Christopher,
Looks like a nice clean machine!
I'd take it back to him and explain that it's NOT the correct one and see if he may have another that is correct.

What.s up w/the 2 boards on the grill??

David, regarding the boards on the grill, going by the one bolt on each side that line up with the tabs on the grill frame, I'd say they are there just to hold the grill screen in place.
dunno.gif

319349.jpg

David,

Those are actually solid steel bars rather than boards. I assumed that they were original but after looking at other pictures of 127's they must have been an addition along with the headlights and horn.

Christopher, first off, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Here's what the original grill screen would look like:

319352.jpg

Here's what the original steering wheel would look like:

319353.jpg

Christopher, the hood and hood decal looks odd. I think it's a hood from the earlier series as it doesn't have the bump in it. Here's what it should look like:

319355.jpg

This is a better picture of the raise in my hood. The decals might be different but the hood seems to be the right one.

319358.jpg

Christopher, much better photo, shows that it is the correct hood. Not sure what to make of the decals.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Back