• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 24, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For <font color="0000ff">charles hoffman (Choffman)</font> back on Monday, December 24, 2012 - 03:50 pm: If you haven't figured it out by now, there should be one wire from the engine that disappears down into the shrouding along with the spark plug wires --it is the "kill wire" for the magneto which, when connected to ground, kills the engine.

You didn't tell us into which model tractor you've installed the motor, but if the tractor was designed for a magneto-fired ignition system, then there should be a terminal on the ignition key switch that grounds out the "kill wire" when the key is in the off position. The terminal should be marked "M" for "Magneto" (or "Motor"). Again, if the tractor originally had an M18 or similar motor installed, the "M" terminal at the key should have a wire running out to the connector in the engine bay.

If your tractor did NOT originally come with a magneto-fired ignition, but instead used an ignition coil, then it has what is termed by MTD as a "Battery" ignition switch. With this arrangement, the key terminal marked "I" for "Ignition" carries 12 volts to the coil when the key is in either the Start or Run (or Run w/Lights) position and offers NO CONNECTION when the key is in the OFF position.

The easiest way to convert an ignition coil type tractor to use a magneto-fired engine is to install an interposing relay such that the positive 12 VDC from the key energizes the relay. The Normally Closed contact of the relay is then connected to the kill wire from the Magneto, and the Common contact of the relay is connected to a good ground.

Thus, when the key is in the ON position, the relay is energized, the engine can start and run; but when the key is in the OFF position, the relay is de-energized, the magneto is grounded out of the circuit, and the engine dies.

The problem you are experiencing is due to the fact that, unlike an ignition coil type ignition, a Magneto does not need external power in order to function --the motor starts itself when it is turned over-- the challenge (as you have discovered) is shutting it off.

Been There, Done That, have the T-shirt to prove it.
smile.gif

Edit: Cute One, Troy --I love it (Jeff, I want the spring assist)

Charlie, thanks for the help!

Got a bunch of tools this morning. A 227 piece Kobalt socket set, a Shop Vac, Estwing ball peen and blacksmith hammer, and several smaller things. I should be able to work on my cubs now.

The weather is going to get bad here, freezing rain turning to snow tonight, tomorrow is going to have 25 MPH wind with below freezing temps, and then more snow tomorrow night. We are expected to have power outages. Got my 122 ready, I sprayed a bunch of PB blaster down the lift rod and it works good now.

I pretty much got that list covered from day 2 to10.only 7 wide frames though.Oh well...

Merry Christmas.Ya'll

Brian - the elves in the workshop, of course and they can really build those Kohlers the right way ( they're getting at least 15 deer power out of each K301 and the same type of increases out of all the other models(the tractors are a spread of 1x9's - 4 169's, 2 149's, 2 129's and a fleet on it's tires 109 in the lead...only hydros, of course) The elves chose the 1x9 series for their best looks and all around usability....

The control setup is from the elves IT/electronics workshop that maintains Santa's Good/Bad Information System (SGBIS) and is a state of the art JOECS (Jolly Old Elf Control System), combined with the latest in global positioning systems - of course from Case/IH......

In-Flight refueling is handled by a fleet of 982 - D's (ugly but reliable and able to haul the large tanks..)

More info to come.......

Wow! Lucas made out well! All I got was an inner tube for a flat front tire...<font size="-2">Now, does the tube go inside the tire, or take the tire off and inflate the tube on the empty rim and drive it ? ?</font>
pop.gif

Jeremiah C - hey thanks for covering for everyone that took today off by answering that question from Charles H. I saw that question but didn't have any idea. (Hey, did you ever try the salted peanuts and Coke?)

David S - hey I like that jingle.

Everyone - Merry Christmas!

I appreciate everyone's replies to my pesky IHCC questions and very much enjoy the dialog here, especially some of the history of these tractors and IH in general. The pics of these tractors mowing, moldboard plowing, dealing with snow or any other chore are very nice! Special thanks to Charlie for this forum and keeping me out of the ditches with my posts too.

Next year, I am hopeful I can fine tune my 109 and get some traction on my 1650.

Thanks again, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!!

Harry: Dang, you have a good memory, I was hoping it would slip your mind, but I actually thought about my vow while Christmas shopping. I'll get a pack of Lance's Salted Peanuts the Coca-Cola the next time I use one of my Cubs, or maybe when I get an engine in the 782.

251068.jpg

Gerry no snow for your cubs to play with in Florida? Maybe we should find you a 55 gallon drum of this.

Also from Charlies earlier post I think the lead one was a hydro-lift looking like a 149

251081.jpg

251082.jpg

Does anybody kno the when the next plow day is that might be near me. I live in dyersburg tenn

Wow, did I ever get a surprise today...

It looks like "Santa" dropped something on the front porch on his way in the house last night. I went outside to start my better-half's car and found this sitting on the front porch:

251097.jpg

251098.jpg

Santa's-Helpers sure do nice work...

Thanks SANTA!!!
happy.gif

Jeff - need several barrels if I'm gonna play in it -- then I gotta find a Cub, then a QA42A.... I did see a setup at the Florida Flywheelers show last year. Not sure how it got to Florida..

BTW - another place the Jolly Old Elf was seen last night...
251101.jpg

Merry Christmas to all,I hope it was a wonderful day filled with lots of joy an love ! Since I didnt get my auger bearings ordered in time which I hate myself for now I ended up putting the old ones back on an packed them with grease to get by with this Blizzard we are sposed to get . I have it all mounted on the cub but need to get a quart of oil since I drained the 30W out and then adjust the PTO an the belt. I may need to buy a new battery in the morning,id noticed this ones almost 2 yrs old an it was only a 12 month...The way its sounding we are sposed to get 15-18" starting in the am with blowing an drifting snow...Id say by the time I get things adjusted it will be ready to use or wait in stby till its ready to go play...Stay safe out there everyone....

Art without sounding stupid, what is that new Elf Industries item?

Latest posts

Back