• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 22, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Slushie"

135 will do 1/4" (sometimes well filleted 3/8") fine AS LONG AS you pre-heat the metal well with a propane/MAPP gas torch right before you weld.....it about doubles your penetration. It's slower and more time consuming to do it that way, but if it's thick and has to hold I always pre-heat.

Glad you like the 175...Hobart makes one heck of a nice welder for the $$$$$, especially compared to some of the low end MIG stuff.

(I know, 1/4" is a stretch for a 120v machine, but for the limited times I actually weld 1/4" pre-heat works great.....and hindsight 20/20
happy.gif
happy.gif

Lonny B
Brinly-Hardy model H-1000, Sleeve Hitch Adapter.

Go to the Brinly web site at www.brinly.com , or: <blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Brinly Hardy, Inc., 3230 Industrial Pkwy., Jeffersonville, IN 47130, USA, all rights reserved. Contact Customer Service Department: toll free (877) 728-8224 All other departments: (800)626-5329 or send us an e-mail at [email protected] <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>.

It is ,or was, considered a "part" rather than an emplement, so you can order it direct without going through a dealer, but if you have a good dealer, he may get it cheaper.

Doug B. How is that 149? Did you make it a runner yet? BTW, thanks for the Oscar Meyer Wiener song.... Hope you got written permission to use their song... If not, I just emailed it to them... Hopefully, their lawyers will be in the "Holiday Spirit" and only take your 149. Then of course, for my damages, I'll just have to take the 106 with loader...
lol.gif

If you are wondering about my suffering, it would be defined as seeing that patch job of writing under the picture, and more importantly, me visualizing you singing that song...
biggrin.gif

(Message edited by jrichardson on December 22, 2003)

Paul Bell>
Thanks for the info on the cat-0 3pt sleve hitch adapter.
I went to Brinlys web site, and found out that they don't sell direct from what I cou;d find out, but that they do sell through different dealers, SO I guess I just have to find a local dealer to purchase one.
Thanks again.

Look like there will not be a WFM sponcered spring break in the spring or 04.
Info from WFM's site was posted there today.

jeff r. i just could'nt pass that one up. maybe you should name that tractor "oscar" as far as suffering, hearing me sing any thing is painful to the listener.
here some pic of how the 149 currently sits
14637.jpg

14638.jpg

let see $1000. cub money, top of the list would be a 59m chipper. and then a paint job for the 106, but thats more of time than money deal.

I've got a hobart 135 and i've been very happy with it, when i weld 1/4 or 3/8 i set the feed rate low and get good penatration, when welding alum. i preheat the material.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm going to try using my variable speed drill with a sssllooowwww setting to see if that improves things. I hope the teeth weren't dulled by the faster speed of the drill press. If they are, I guess I'll use the 1 1/8" one and file the hole bigger. In fact, that may be a better plan (albeit much more labor-intensive) since I can make the hole as snug as possible to the axle. The test hole I bored in a piece of wood was a bit too loose and would require some jigging of the axle when welding it up.

Speaking of welding... I was thinking of using this project as an excuse to buy a welder and it was suggested that a stick welder would be the thing to use. Could I also do this with a MIG set-up? And, would the welder need to be spec'd for 1 1/4" (the thickness of the axle) or 1/4" (the thickness of the "c bracket"? Thanks for your advice!

Ian,

Actually, a little bit loose isn't a bad thing...coupled with a good bevel on the outter face it will aid in good weld penetration.

With all of this talk about welders, does anybody know of a place that has discount prices on new welders? Maybe the freight would negate any savings though...

I've heard that the Hobart and Miller welders are basically the same welder with the Miller having slightly better internals. Can anyone confirm this?

Miller-matic 210 goes up to 3/8" thick, so that would be PLENTY for a cub garage..

Ian,
the nice thing about using the Northern stub axle is that you can clamp it's square shoulder to the inside of the spindle bracket, tack weld it inside and then go to work on that outer bead. the inside shoulder will hold it nice and square with the bracket.

make sure the outer chamfer is LARGE enough, 3/16" out and 3/16" deep will give you enough room to bury that bead without having to do too much grinding.

i think you'll see much better results with the slow drill, put a little oil in the groove and it should work fine.

Hey all, will be away from the computer for a few days (there's lotsa eating and present-opening to be done!) wanted to wish you a very Merry Christmas.

As I've said before, for me, the best part of this hobby is the folks I've met, whether in person or on-line, so in that spirit, have a great time this week. . .

And, don't forget, when putting junior's bike, etc. together, to
rtfm.gif
!

Art,

I got mine at TSC after shopping around.

Miller vs. Hobart

On the XP130 vs. H135 My research showed the following differences (from memory):

Miller = copper transformer windings...Hobart = AL
Miller = steel feed rollers...Hobart = composite

Other than that, the guns are the same (Hobart unit says Miller right on it) and most of the rating and settings are the same. The machines are made by the same parent co.

I liken the 2 units to Ford/Mercury......same basic animal with some minor differences.

I could not justify the need for the Miller considering the volume of welding that I do.

My $.02

BTW, Hobart has a very nice website with a usefull Q/A Forum......and, when my shield gas regulator went bad after 3 mo. (bad seat) the guys at Hobart shipped me one asap and free.

Doug, looking good!

Rich, Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you!

HELLO,

jUST WANTED TO WISH EVERYONE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR............

kraig m, can i barrow some of those tuit's so i can finish the 149.

Ian. get a welding magnet if you don't have one, very usefull item for getting things set up for welding.

Morning guys!The miller site forum sometimes goes over a few dealers that will ship their stuff at a cost nice enough to buy over the web. Good forum too!
Talking about good guys that doug is hard to beat, Sure gives away nice parts. I think his 149 is going to be a bit better than mine. Maybe it will be at brooks next year trying out that pull sled for fun. His 106 made it look easy!

Looking good Doug!!! But what does TUIT mean?

Jerry B. yeah, Doug's 106 didn't have any trouble with the pulling... Reminded me of the Energizer Bunny, just kept going and going and going and going.... Then Doug says to Steve, can you bring more weight next year? lmao.

I won't be there, but, maybe one of my Originals will make the trip, depending on Doug.

Thanks Steve, you confirmed what I was thinking about the Hobart vs. Miller issue, but rather than think of it as Ford vs. Mercury, I prefer to think of it as Cub vs. <font color="119911">Deere</font>. They both run Kohler power and Sundstrand Hydros, but we know which one is best!.
happy.gif

Um, Art . . . . .
Let's just not go there, that's like saying that Major Peter's Bloody Mary Mix is somehow comparable to Clamato . . . . it just ain't right, one you recommend to your friends and the other you just don't touch because it's just plain awful.

It's like comparing an Arctic Cat ZR to a Rupp, Like a Steiger to a Belarus, like Chivas to Five Star, there's just some things that ain't compared!

Latest posts

Back