• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 25, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Otto, I believe you want us to help ID it's approximate age based on some details like the crescent cut out for the steering adjust and the creeper gear hole, yes? I've already mentioned that the frame often cracked and could have been replaced... Which type of spindle caps does it have, bolt on or a collar and roll pin?

298656.jpg

BOLT ON

298657.jpg

COLLAR AND ROLL PIN

Attachments

• 298656.jpg
    298656.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 298657.jpg
    298657.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 146
Otto, here's some more info, this was info I got from Craig Carney some time ago.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

My anecdotal evidence points to the steering sector adjustment slot coming somewhere in the 2x,xxx range and the change to the cast IH gen bracket somewhere in the 16-20,xxx range. Extremely anecdotal from surveying hundreds of pictures and posts over the years, and having owned 10-12 originals or so.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

GOOD GRIEF!

It only took 3 posts to ask a specific question that didn't have to get beat around the bush to do in the first place!

Any OTHER specific questions that you would like to ask other than EVERY minute detail that differentiates all 3 years of the Originals?

I'm sure Paul B. or Myron B could throw something together in a month or 2 just for you, but I rather doubt that will happen, LOL

Looks like it would be a lot easier to take the serial number area down to bare metal and be done with it.
biggrin.gif

Personally I find all those nit picking details boring and a waste of time. Especially when it doesn't really matter if you look at the big picture!
Unless of course there's a 100 point full blown RESTORATION involved of a super rare serial numbered machine.

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 146
Kraig, collar and roll pin are used on the 4377. The 2566? has the bolt and washer. Since my numbered series tractors all have the bolt and washer, it should be a safe bet it is the newer of the 2 designs. This difference is what my original question was about. Thanks for the photos and information. With Craig Carney's information and yours, I will consider the 4377 a 1961 and the 2566? a 1962.

Charlie, considering some of the topics discussed on here, I'm sorry this one bored you. But Kraig found the time to add useful information and I thank him again for that. Paul B. and Myron B probably do have something better to do. My original question is closer to verification.

Here's a specific question for you. Why so irritable? The top of the page says there is no stupid question. But look out for the answers!!!!!!!!!!

Otto C.
I never said your question was stupid!!!!

BTW, I'm the one that put that term on this page!

I'm not irritable at all, LOL
You ain't seen me irritable, but you might.

NOW,
If you had asked the question in the beginning that you wanted to know the subtle differences in the 3 years of the Original, and posted the serial numbers, it would have been a different scenario all together.

I'm not one for spoon feeding, especially when trying to get the information seems to take an act of congress to achieve, that's a natural fact that pretty much everyone knows about me.
Plus, I have the patience of a piss ant most of the time.

I'll stay out of this conversation just to keep things on an even keel.

I got into this hobby knowing less than anyone out there and have evolved to the point of knowing just a tiny bit more than a few.
There's MANY that have forgotten more than I'll ever know and I'm fine with that.
thumbsup_old.gif

My job is right now is to keep the lights on!

Attachments

• thumbsup_old.gif
    thumbsup_old.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 144
To Jim Patchett - thanks for the advice on transmission fluid. I found the Hy-Tran at a local Case dealer. The guy told me it was more like 10 than 30 weight but maybe that's because it's transmission fluid instead of motor oil.

You're right Charlie. Even I could have answered what he wanted to know IF he had posted, in the first place, what it took you 3 posts to drag out of him.

OTTO: You will get better responses when you realize that none of us have crystal balls, so we need basic information to provide help.

Myron B

Well I'm not going to beat this horse anymore. Now that I am reasonably sure that there must be another number there, I will go with the years I have assigned to them.
If I told you that one was serial 4377 and the other 2566 what would you have answered then? It would have been what Marty posted and I would have 2 1961 tractors. I knew where the serial number questions in the FAQs were. But I needed other information to determine if the mark on the 2566 casting was a number or not. That was the original question. I wanted physical proof that the 2 tractors were different years based on how they were made.
Kraig came up with enough proof for me that agrees with what I was told before about the steering cut out and creeper hole. Additional verification is all I was asking for. And I asked for opinions which is what Craig Carney's quote provided.

I didn't join this forum to argue with anyone. I have watched it for a long time and knew I would get the answer I need here. It wouldn't have taken 3 posts if the original post was taken at face value. Go back and read it. Or have someone else read it to you. Sometimes that helps.

As for a 100 point restoration of a rare Cub, I don't think so. I want to get them out of my garage. And if someone were to buy one that was represented as a 1961 rather than a 1962, then I would have been responsible for misrepresentation and I would not do that. Therefore I asked the question.

Many thanks to those who helped.

Otto C.
No one is arguing man!

We were just trying to get all the info from ya that we could so everyone/anyone could get an answer to ya!

No harm no foul on my end. Course I like to fling the
fan.gif
on occasion.
beerchug.gif

NOW, that does bring up the subject that I mentioned before.
Maybe the Cub Gods out there at some point in time could get their heads together and get as much info as possible on serial number breaks, changes, oddities or what ever for the O's.
I'd be more than happy to add it to the FAQ's for future nit pickers,
biggrin.gif
, to get that kinda info.

Attachments

• fan.gif
    fan.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 159
  • beerchug.gif
    beerchug.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 148
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif