• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 23, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This topic of where to place the hinge came up last year during Aug. 22, 2016.

Do a word search and type in "hood hinge under headlight panel"

Look at section #2 about half way down.
You can read some info on this subject.

Grrrrrr, got some 1/2" shims for the trunnion and decided to put some on the other side of the shaft on the right. Grrrr, it's 11/16th! Back to the store.... Does it ever end?

George-

All four shafts coming out of the pump are 5/8". The 1/2" shims I mentioned are for the lower cam bracket if needed at all. A new nylon bushing will tighten that bracket up considerably. If you decide to replace seals be sure and measure or just take the old ones with you (always advisable). There are different OD dimensions.

Well, it's off to the cemetery, AGAIN, today.
Our mowing contractor QUIT 2 weeks ago and the grass just kept on growing!! Some has not been mowed for 2 weeks or more.

Oh, the joys of being on the cemetery board!!
Carolyn and I and one other member, the PREZ, can you believe it! each spent 6 hours there on Wed, and I put in another 6 yesterday alone. It's about 3/4 done as I type this, and we had a shower last night so it will be wet this AM, I hope not too wet.
The 1200 & 44" deck is working OK, where it can work that is, too darn rough and uneven a lot of places.
And, I'm afraid the big 54" deck would be mostly unusable in the oldest part. The 1200 almost is and I've had to mow those rows w/the Lawn Boy.

I turned Carolyn loose w/the GTX21554LE on the big flat newer part, that is until the right drag link broke! Will be Monday before parts arrive for that &T#&%$*!!! She finished that part w/the 1200 but would do no more around the stones etc, "to jerky to drive" she's afraid of banging into a stone. Will have to get a hydro for her if she is going to help more.
LOTS of hand work w/a Lawn boy though, mostly what I have been doing.
Can you say BUSHED, STIFF & SORE?? for sure, Ibuprofin nights!!

Marty - geez, you've got a good memory. I had forgotten all about the little recess in the aluminum upper grill housing. This is why the hood hinge gets sandwiched between the housing and the light panel.

In your message last year you said you did "not" sandwich yours so you couldn't see the edge of the hinge when looking from the outside. I never asked then but seems to me because of the recess in the housing you would end up bending/bowing the light panel, especially since there are only 3 screws which are all towards the middle and would pull the panel against the housing. Did you do something to offset this so it's flat. As I said before I couldn't see any space there in your pics.

David S - how many people are buried in that cemetery? (old joke)

Harry,

No, I did not do anything to compensate for the recess in the housing.
Since the hinge is so thin, you cannot see any crack or bowing in the panel.
I even used a flashlight to look for a crack or bow.
I did see some nice gaps/notches around the headlight!
err.gif

I did notice that since the hinge is not sandwiched, there is a wee bit of side to side wobble in the hood when the hood is raised.
This probably doesn't matter when the hood is latched, but I may take it loose and sandwich it to see if there is any difference in the play when raised up.

P.S. I think you were supposed to ask how many dead people are buried in the cemetery.
icon_eek.gif

Attachments

• err.gif
    err.gif
    251 bytes · Views: 124
  • icon_eek.gif
    icon_eek.gif
    170 bytes · Views: 120
Marty - you can't tell from the pic of my hood hinge (that Kraig posted) but I used the Quiet Line hood hinge which is a little thicker and overall more robust than the original hinge - and I think guaranteed for the life of the tractor (forever). I think this actually results in the light panel being set back just slightly so you can see a gap from the front (if you use magnifying glass), but I don't worry about the hinge breaking or twisting out of place like the original hinges tended to do.

Now, about that cemetery - you're right, how many "dead" people
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 131
Ethan - yup, that's the old joke, but David S is out there countin'm right now
angel.gif

Attachments

• angel.gif
    angel.gif
    222 bytes · Views: 126
And the answer is..............
All of 'em but ONE, today anyway, that one was ME!All dead and buried....
But the damn moles and ground squirrels were doing their best to dig some of 'em up!!
They really got some of those rows tore to he!!

Back