• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

AIR COMPRESSERS!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodsmith

displayname
Rodney Smith
What size air compressor will operate paint guns?
Mine will run a air gun fine,but slow on die grinders and such.I do have an electric DEWALT DA. I've looked at PUMA and KOBALT 60 gallon uprights with high CFMs and high prices for those CFMs.I might try sandblasting also if I had
the correct compressor or is 2 stage needed there?

ROD

225979.jpg

Different spray guns have different requirements. My aircompressor is 6.8 @ 120 and 8.2 @ 90 psi, and does okay with my sprayer. and impact, theres some catch-up time with a DA sander and you get plenty of breaks with a gravity feed sand blaster.

RODNEY - Dave is correct. I was blasting with my 40# pressure blaster yesterday and my full 7-1/2 HP 80 gal 2-stage kept up O-K. My blast nozzle was getting pretty worn and I don't think a 5 HP 60 gal 2-stg would have kept up.

I would shop for compressors by comparing CFM at a minumum of 90 PSI. HP means nothing anymore. It's been distorted into nothing resembling motor HP by the marketing mopes.

For most shop uses, running impacts, painting, running a DA sander, 10 CFM @ 90 PSI is a minimum. A larger tank helps extend run time, and break time too.

The Kobalt is rated at 11.5 CFM @ 90psi. The price on it is $479.
The PUMA is rated at 12 CFM @90psi. price is $522.
KOBALT 3.7 running HP.
PUMA 3.0 running HP.
Mine is 7.7 SCFM @ 90psi.
ROD
225987.jpg

225988.jpg

Rodney - If your current compressor is 7.7 CFM @ 90, maybe you should look at something bigger like a full 5 HP 2-stage on a 60 gal tank, or at least a full 5 HP single stage. I was going to get an IR that size but I'm sure glad I went bigger. Here's my compressor, CLICK HERE

I paid about $1400-$1500 plus tax for it 6-8 yrs ago.

You'll need a 220V outlet to run a bigger compressor, and they'll be more money, but you'll have room to grow. It's amazing how often I grab an air toool now that I have enough air to run them. And it's nice having higher PSI available sometimes. Yesterday I was having a problem loosening a jam nut on a wheel on my Super H with SON's big impact gun. I go over to the PSI regulator and turn up another 20 PSI and I spin it right off! I've had some bolts where I've had to run 150 PSI to that impact, a 3/4" NC nut on really buggered up threads. After I got that nut off it was too hot to hold in my bare hands. Even the impact socket was hot!

DENNIS,
We bought one of these at work.Hasn't been anything on dumptrucks or graders that hasn't come loose with 3/4 impact so far. Just didn't feel right about spending $800 on a compressor when all I do is pittle with cub cadets anymore. I quit fooling with bigger FARMALLS after we moved to town.I like yours, but don't need anything that fancy.
ROD
226026.jpg

226027.jpg

RODNEY - I had plans to build a blast cabinent before I bought my compressor. A co-worker told me he had to plumb both his 3 HP compressor and 5 hp compressor together to run his pressure blaster. That's when I decided to go from a 5 to 7-1/2 HP compressor. I don't run it a lot. With 80 gallons of air at 150-160 PSI I can run a 1/4 inch die grinder for several minutes before I drop below 90 PSI.

The FARMALL M is now taking up the room the blast cabinent was going to occupy. Guess I need a bigger shop! I was blasting a rear rim off my Super H yesterday. Used about 200# of quartz sand. It'd be nice to recycle that sand, but it's not that expensive. And it cut that 57+ years of rust from Calcium chloride solution in the tire pretty well.

I can say two things about the oil-less air compressors. They are to loud to be in the same room with and they are really cheap to rebuild.

DAVE - I agree completely on the first comment. And because of the first comment, I hope to never have to run either of my two oil-less compressors enough to find out about the second comment! But it's good info to know!

The first time I plugged in my oil-less compressor I ran for cover, couldn't believe it could make that much racket without flying apart! It's similar to this one, CLICK HERE

I have a larger twin-tank contractor's compressor that's about 50% more HP & CFM and it's just as loud!

1a_scratchhead.gif

Has anyone on here tried one of the KOBALT 3.7hp model compressors yet?
ROD

Rodney - I bought this in '08. It ran 30 minutes then the compressor crank bearing went out , 3 weeks before I could get my money back. Coleman made the pump and they were in the middle of filing chapter eleven.

226264.jpg

KENtuckyKEN,
What did you replace it with?
I've also been looking at a Puma at our local Farm&Home supply.I have a pic posted of it.
My main concern about it is any warranty work!
THANKS
ROD

Rodney - They wanted the local warranty guy to take a look at it ... he wanted me to "bring it in".

A lot of phone calls later they had another company in another town that was going to come out ... two weeks and no show ! It's all in another "Air Compressors" thread in the Machine Shop (where this should have been).

I bought a new pump and motor and rebuilt my old 80 gallon tank.

Latest posts

Back