• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

AC Buzz box to AC/DC "Improved" Conversion Complete

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jluckey

displayname
Jonathan Luckey -*"Constant Vigilance!!!"*
Well, it has taken six months, but I finally got the conversion complete. I call this an AC/DC "Improved" because of the size of my diodes and the additional "turbo" fan to keep things cool.

I would not recommend this conversion as a cheap way to add DC to a "Not Already Purchased Welder". I have just as much money in the conversion as if I would have bought the AC/DC model right out of the box, but since I already had the welder, I just worked with what I had. Here is a run down on cost
275 amp diodes (qty 4) 80.00
arc stabilizer 70.00
heat sink material 12.00
#4 welding cable (10 feet) 15.00
misc hardware-connectors 10.00
fan 5.00

I salvaged the "plugs" from an old old welder at my farm that no longer functioned.

Here are the pics.

It really has improved the welder. DC rocks!!!!!!!!! I was told by several experts (including an engineer in the field, that DC is no better than AC if you don't have the arc stabilizer. I would have to agree.
31745.jpg

31746.jpg

31747.jpg

31748.jpg

31749.jpg

31750.jpg

Nice Job, Jonathan!

He's right- the arc-stabilizer makes a BIG difference... having high-frequency AC at higher voltage superimposed on the high-current DC makes it rediculously easy to strike and maintain an arc under even the ugliest conditions. It's kinda like having a TIG, but not using the tungsten and a filler-rod.

Latest posts

Back