• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

A decent lawn spreader - tow behind style, Any Suggestions?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwilke

displayname
Ryan D Wilke
Hi Fellas,

I'm looking for a decent spreader to distribute dandelion killer and pelletized lime...
I've never owned or used one.
Does anyone here have any experience or preferences between those on the market these days?

I kinda like the looks of this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Agri-Fab-125-Pound-Broadcast-Spreader-45-0211/dp/B0001YB0LS

or maybe this one:
http://www.earthway-outlet.com/2170tsu.htm

My yard isn't the smoothest and has some hills.
I'm thinking I'd tow it behind my 129 or 127 while mowing.....is that how it's done?

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome!
Thanks in advance Guys!
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

I've got one from Sears , alot more pricey than those. I'd take the one at Amazon , free shipping too!
Before I bought one I had a homemade one that worked good. A 3 speed slinger plus reverse ;)

Hi, i just bought the agri-fab in Canada and put it right to use. worked great , got a good spread. was very happy. I picked this spreader because it has metal gears and just a little grease on the gears will keep it running for years. I hate plastic aneything.
Just my .02

Donald T.,
What model number Agri-Fab spreader did you buy that had metal gears?
I thought the one I looked at (I don't recall the mod#) last week had a PLASTIC vertical gear at the axle that drove the "spray tray" above; that kinda turned me off to it too...
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

keep in mind that a broadcast spreader will fling stuff where you don't want pretty easily, too, such as momma's flower beds... a drop spreader may be an option... JMHO..

I have a small pull behind Earthway broadcast spreader. I think it's this one. Even with my large yard I wish I had bought the walk behind push version rather then the one for pulling behind my Cub. Too many flower beds, trees and other stuff to maneuver around. It would be nice to have a walk behind drop spreader, a walk behind broadcast spreader, a large tow behind broadcast spreader and a tow behind drop spreader.........

Thanks for sharing, Fellas!
thumbsup.gif

Kraig McC., that looks like a nice unit. I really like the large 13"diameter, air-filled tires and the enclosed gear box operating the "spray tray"....

Yeah, I realize that a drop spreader only places the material directly below the unit, but my yard doesn't have too many flower beds to worry about - I can steer clear of the few that are along the one edge....

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Kraig - I've got a walk behind broadcast and a drop. I've got a tow behind of each also. I'll take the ride ;)
It's fun to spread dehydrated lime with the wind blowing and watch yer neighbor come out and start sneezing
rofl.gif

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO WASH AND LUBE

Ryan, it's not a bad unit, however, I think that one has a plastic "gear box" and has plastic gears inside. Anyway mine has a plastic housing on the gearbox.......

My "farm" - about an acre before subtracting various buildings, land that slopes to the county drain, etc. didn't justify a big spreader, so I bought this mostly plastic tow-behind at the local big box groceryclothinghardwarepharmacy about 6 or 8 years ago. The shutter control involved a lever that locked/unlocked and pulled the shutter cable open. I think I put my back out, twisting behind the seat on the 129, every time I put down the 'ol weed n' feed. Looking through the possibility pile in the shop one night I spotted a door lock solenoid from a late 70's GM product.. I constructed a bell crank (I know, it doesn't look like a crank, but that's what the RC'ers call 'em, too) and an adjustable bump stop to set the shutter opening adjustment. The solenoid is a push/pull with wired field type, so it required a three wire hot/ground/hot setup with a center off single pole/double throw switch. With the ability to turn it off at the end of a row, or when backing up, etc., it's made it almost too easy to spread lawn food or overseed the lawn..
56809.jpg
56810.jpg

56811.jpg
56812.jpg

Nice setup, Kendell. I know what you mean about the lever, mine is similar to the way yours was originally. I plan on twisting a little bit tomorrow with it, and using the push-ahead drop spreader near the flowers and vegetable garden. I just wish the rain forecast would stabilize.
I don't want it to rain the day after I put on $30 worth of stuff and wash it all off. It needs about three days according the manufacturer.

Kendell I.,
That is a SWEET actuator!
thumbsup.gif

I don't know if you realize it or not, but not all of us have the fabricator's insight that you, KENtuckyKEN, Charlie, and others here have! It is truly a wonderful gift you guys have; and then when you guys share your gifts with the rest of us less-talented poor slobs, it sure is appreciated!
worthy.gif
(Yes, I recall - mom always said, "We all have our own talents and you've find your own set of talents someday." Well mom, I'm still looking to discover mine.)
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Hey Ryan - we all get ideas from each other. If I remember right, you've triggered one or two for me!
I see you're from Stanton...ever hit the Motorplex?? I'm hoping to be up there this summer (see my post in the Nitro/Top Fuel thread..) Might be chief tire wiper / back 'em up guy...

Unfortunately I don't think one can get one anymore (not that anyone here would pay the price for it anyway
wink.gif
), but I have an MTD PRO HWE 80 spreader.

Epoxy coated frame, sealed metal gearbox with metal gears and enough stainless to make a boater happy. All made here in the US of A.

Alas, MTD dumped the MTD PRO line, I'm guessing to make room for Cub Cadet Commercial.

"not that anyone here would pay the price for it anyway" Yup, yer right about that, Bryan - after I bought my last mower (see the pic at the bottom of the OT tractor thread..), I didn't have enough left except for the cheap a$$ $37.00 plastic job - and it's really bad, I have to get off the mower to load it 3 times to do the whole acre !!!....) Stainless and epoxy would be nice if I was spreading salt and I'll really be pi$$ed when those plastic gears give out (by the looks of the gears, they may go in the next 8 or 10 years.. I just checked my files, I bought it in '94.)

Kendell -

I do spread salt in the winter. I also have the nifty clear vinyl/elastic cover to keep the salt dry...

Kendell, I like this terminology:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

the possibility pile<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

thumbsup.gif

Kraig: I'll post a couple of pics when I get a chance... It's kind of like making wine - gotta let things ferment for a while
whistling.gif

Latest posts

Back