• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782D Running A Little Warm?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbischof

displayname
Rick Bischof
Plowday. Outside temp.: 50 to 60 degrees. Temp gauge: 3/4 + on high side. What is normal for this tractor? Was told and seen in a garden tractor book, where slots were cut into lower sections of side panels on 782D and a newer model CCC diesel. Was this a factory option and would this actually help in air flow or to get rid of some of the heat?

Normal is the needle about straight up or slightly to the right of that. My 782D does not have the slots and cools just fine; certainly no worse than the 1512 I used to have that did have the slots. The radiator needs to be clean, the debris screen MUST be used and kept clean. Do you have the proper coolant level? If you never have, I would flush the cooling system, clean the outside of the radiator and refill with new antifreeze. The insulation on the upper hose may also be causing problems if it has deteriorated. If those things don't fix the problem, I'd try replacing the thermostat.

Dumb question, you are operating the tractor at full throttle, correct?

Rick Bischof

I had what I thought was an overheat issue with my 1512. I did flush at least twice and changed the thermostat and that seems to be working for me.I will put slots in the side panels when I do a refurb of it because it can`t hurt. I will put the vents back so I get the warm air in side my windbreaker. The insulation on the upper hose was missing and was not replaced, I have never found a replacement cover of foam.I don`t run my diesel a wot very often and like how quiet and smooth it runs.I did put a 50/50 mix of antifreeze in the tractor and I have used it on hot days and just don`t give it a second thought now.I did check the rad cap to see if it was working and its good.I love the Diesel for the smooth power and it sips fuel .The 1512 Diesel has more than a few pluses for sure.
old.gif

On my 1512 I notice it runs hotter at low RPM's. If you rev the engine up some (half throttle and up) it will be fine. Don't forget to check the fan belt and make sure the idler pully on the fan is working fine. I had the bearing go and before I could shut things off the belt was toasted. I do have the slots in the side panels and it always seems to run fine. I have attached the specs from the 1512 manual.
217055.jpg

My 1572 was running a bit hotter than I had wanted when I first got it and realized there was a bunch of dirt/gunk clogged up in the radiator fins that wasn't noticeable by just glancing at it. I also added new insulation to the upper radiator hose since the old stuff was gone. It now hardly ever runs over the halfway mark even when working it hard while plowing. The side panels have slots in them.

Back for some more help. My Dad is wanting to change out the radiator hoses. Checked with parts look up and they are NLA. Has anyone tried to cross reference part #'s with an auto parts store or would a Kubota dealer might be the way to go? BTW, cleaned radiator fins and brought temp. down to where he is more comfortable.

Rick B. I've heard of some guys going to an auto parts store and being able to come up with a suitable hose. The hose was originally used on another piece of IH Farm Equipment as well as the 782D. Sad to say that CASEIH deemed it no longer necessary to stock. I even tried a Navistar truck dealership a few years ago to no avail. I finally found one on evilapy and have an extra for the day that I'll need to replace mine.

Latest posts

Back