• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

682 hood latch

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
I'm wondering if someone could explain how the hood latch on a 682 is suppose to work. This one is located on the left side and I'm not that much of a red CC man. It appears to be bent and the hood has shifted a tad to the right but does close. This tractor belongs to a another gentleman and it needed a trunion slot repair which is done. He asked me to go over several other things like the headlights, fluid change, etc. so I'd like to get this hood straightened out for him as well.

I'll post a pic if that will help.

Thanks in advance!

I am inclined to agree Tom. This one seems bent and I'm just not familiar with the concept here. I'm now wondering if it should just come out to prevent pushing the hood over to one side. The hood stays up without the use of it anyway.

Matt? You out there? I know you know these tractors bumper to bumper.

I had this latch on my 682 and it worked fine until I took the hood off. It got bent putting it back on and I could never get it to work right, so I asked forum members about it. It was everyones opinion to remove it. The hood will stay up without it and, in some cases, could actually bend the hood, so I left it off. Never had a problem.

Sounds like a plan to me Norm.

Thanks for the input. I'm out to do a "latchectomy".

Here it is Jeff. I was a operating room tech in the service so I've been around a lot of "ectomies".

Norm-

Did yours look like this?

244151.jpg

244152.jpg

244153.jpg

I just hope the owner doesn't mind. I don't really see how he can. This 682 is his "lake tractor" that is kept up at Hico Lake here in central NC. He has another cub he uses at his house mainly to pull a yard cart because he also has a zero turn for mowing. He has already told me he wants some work done on it as well.

He might change his mind after he sees the bill for this one.

The hood now closes nicely and centered.

As I mentioned, I did a trunion slot repair and this is a sweet tractor. I now understand why Matt G. wanted his loader on one. I may start looking for some red for my collection.

I thought I replied to this thread this morning, but apparently it didn't stick.

I remove them from mine, too. I've heard they'll break the nosepiece, and the later tractors didn't have them anyway.

Thanks Matt, that's good news.

I really do appreciate your input here. Seeing how this latch was just causing problems made me wonder. The hood works just fine now with our old friend gravity.

Back