• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

682 cub

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aclark

displayname
anthony clark
After about an hour of use I start to smell burning oil and a little noise in the engine sounds like a main rattling no smoke out the exhaust while using after you shut down to idle starts smoking a little and then when you shut off in smokes like you poured oil on manifold the last two times I mowed it used 1/2 quart of oil it has 1084 hours on meter Kohler twin 17 DOES it need to be rebuilt ???

Thanks Anthony

Anthony:

YUP.....sounds like this KT17 needs to be freshened up.

thumbsup.gif

Yepper, time to rebuild it, make sure to completely replace the gov gear set up. Or you can look into repowering with with a newer magnum series or one of the V twins from Briggs, Honda or Kohler. The newer engines are a bit more fuel effecient over the old flathead twins. Look at Small Engine Warehouse and Tulsa Engine warehouse for deals on new engines. Mike

Thanks for the input I am sure I will have more questions this winter while rebuilding Is most parts still available for these machines I would like to keep is all original

Anthony

Back