• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

4 digit Original

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajtimm

displayname
Anthony Timm
Looks like I'm starting again.. 34 years after my first Cub Cadet -another Original, (that eventually got away). I think I'm calling this one "Christine" after the car. It fired up and runs better than everything else I have. Even the lights work. PO said it has sat for at least 12 years. I believe him.

302617.jpg

Here's what I have found so far..

Good: straight tin with most of the 'goodies' like- IH badge, chrome hood ornament, correct steering wheel & seat.

Bad: No brakes, clutch pedal froze, steering froze, front tires gone..

302620.jpg

Restoration tip: "Never assume what is wrong until you get you're hands dirty".

I was pricing steering gear rebuild kit's; however, when I dropped the tie rod, I found both front spindles froze- not the Ross steering gear.
Worm gear turns very nice, only a touch sloppy.

Restoration Tip: When removing/loosening spindle's. Remove axle from tractor. Place spindle in large vise. Pry with axle leaving spindle shaft free from damage.

I didn't think of this until it was too late, I was using pipes to slowly work it back & forth. I also ended up leaving pry marks on my spindle(which I thought I had protected). Of course they will smooth out- but a bone-head move, especially when the axle drops out easily with one bolt.

302628.jpg

Timm - hold old is that pic in your profile? And is that the "O" that got away?

Besides the clutch pedal being rusted, I found the clutch rod was cracked on the end. Under tension I believe the end was twisted in the pedal cam, which allowed it to bind.

Surprised it never broke off under load.

302631.jpg

Indeed Harry. I dug the picture out just today and the date said 'June 1982'. And yes, that is the O that got away.
I tore it down to the frame and repainted it during the time I worked at an IH dealer while in High School.

That picture was taken after I managed to get it running ..some how through all that hair.

302634.jpg

I'm waiting for parts so, this is a good time to crack open the Starter Generator. Doesn't seem to be charging the battery.
I would say, IH got their money's worth out of these brushes.. looking close you can see, they are all but gone.

Removed S/G from engine, removed two(long) 7/16 bolts at rear and cover came off very easy.

302659.jpg

After the new brushes were installed- no change. Seems no voltage at the generator terminals. I tried a 'spare' gen and same thing. I have some more trouble shooting to do- either two bad generators or something else going on.

On a different note: amazingly.. after sitting for years, I put in some new gas and it fired right up and ran very well, no carb cleaning. After a little fine-tuning, it just lopes along, pulls and has good power. What a delight.

Hello Anthony.

What's the plan for the "O"? Just a yard machine or a trailer queen?

In any event, enjoy the ride and yes, I'll be watching and enjoying "the ride" with you.

Back