383 hydro troubles

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbuttke

displayname
Lonny Buttke
My 383 hydro has developed a nasty habbit of pushing hydraulic oil out of the fill cover through the breather hole.
This only happens when I am trying to mow going up the ditches or hill in my back yard.
On the flat ground it is ok, cept that it the more I mow with it the slower the forward motion is and by the time I finish the 2 acres I have to have the control lever at full speed.

What could be causeing this problem?

I have a model 73 tractor and when i push the clutch down i have engagement at the top and middle but nothing all the way down. Is there a way to adjust this?? I just inherited this and it was built about the time i was born, so sorry if I don't know much about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Good Morning, Lonnie and Jeff.

Jeff. Your 73 question is quite appropriate in the IH built Forum Section. Try asking it there.
happy.gif

Lonnie. I have to admit that it has been awhile since I've been on the lines actually assembling any of our hydrostatic propelled systems so I am a bit rusty on problem solving. As to why the oil is being pushed out the breather hole I'll have to ask at work. For the loss of power your oil is possibly getting on the hot side, you have a weak By-pass valve, or charge or system pressure may be on the LOW side. If I may ask this.... what company made the hydro system for your 383? Not that it would matter. The troubleshooting procedures are the same. Also, your check your charge relief valves, inlet filter,. Summing up ... do the same procedures that you wold do for a 15U on one of your full size Cubs.

BTW... When I say that I don't work on the asembly line, I mean that I am more into the inventory flow/control section of the line. My position is still a POT (Production Operator Technician)/Quarterback. My job entails ensuring the correct parts are on the line when it is time to build. VERY fascinating and I deal with a lot of great team members... much like the people on this Forum.

Lonnie B. Possible causes as to why your hydro is acting the way it is. As for the oil pouring out the vent hole. More than likely you have a high or built up case pressure. Oil is being dumped back into the case more than what should be. Possible causes are sticking check valves or in some pumps the implement relief valves, etc. In general you could have a sticking valve. when this happens then more oil is dumped back into the Case and excess pressure is built up and the oil has to go somewhere. OR it could be possible (although NOT likely) that a piston in the cylinder block kit is going bad and is letting oil slip by. If it were me then I'd begin by checking the valves that I've mentioned as possible culprits FIRST. As I stated before... treat this hydro with the same consistent troubleshooting manner as you would a 15U in one of your bigger Cub Cadets. Perhaps Charlie or someone could post a picture of the troubleshooting page(s) for you. Please keep us informed as to how things work out for you. I really am thinking on the lines of wht the engineer informed me.... a sticking valve. Hope this helps... if not let me know.

Marlin

Thanks for the information as to what to look for.
So far all I have done is park the 383 and have not looked at it since it acted up back on the 9th.
It is a nice looking cub and cut grass better than any other tractor I have.
I have been thinking of pulling out the hydro rearend and replaceing it wirh a gear drive rear end, as I have one of those sitting out back.

I have to admitt I aint much a mechanic when it comes to working on these hydro units, for me it either they work or they dont, and if they dont work I park them and strip the tractor for usable parts.

Lonnie. If you can get a schematic of the hydro or your local Cub dealer can print one off for you that would be fantastic. What I would do is take out the valves and thoroughly clean them and try that first. It only takes a very small piece of contaminant to cause a valve to stick. If your hydro has been working good until recently then more than likely a sticking valve is your culprit.
happy.gif

Marlin, Lonny B: The Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor Service Manual (805,1015 1020 etc.) has a very good, complete service (adjustment, disassembly and reassembly) procedure for both the Eaton (in Lonny's 383) and the Sundstrand BDU-10 (the smaller one in other CC Lawn Tractors). The TC-157, TC-193 & the follow on MTD/CC Lawn Tractor Parts Manuals do NOT show the parts breakdown for the EATON's. The BDU-10 parts are listed in several places.

I'm looking for the Eaton parts listing. If anyone knows where IH or Cub Cadet listed those parts, let me know as I may or not have it somewhere in the Library.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

I am not completely sure if I have discovered what is causeing the problem, but after removeing the right rear fender I have found that the cooling fan is missing 5 of its 6 blade and the hydro unit is covered in black oily gunk.

Got a new fan blade on oredr and have cleaned the hydro unit of all the build up.
Hopefully it the problem was just from over heating and a new fan blade will cure it.

Lonny B.
happy.gif
You'll have that little fella up and running like a top before long.

Got the new fan blade iinstalled, its much larger than the orginal one.
Took the 383 for a test run, seems ok but the real test will be to mow the lawn this comming weekend.

Marlin

So far so good, no more oil being pushed out the breather hole in the fill cap and no more herky-jerky when I back up.
Still slows down a bit after warming up but not near as bad as it was befor.

Hey Lonny! I have a International Cub Cadet 682 and a 383. Now on the fill cover of my 682, there where the breather hole was, was just a big hole. It leaked all the time when going up and down hills. So what I did was make a seal. It's really easy to do. I would try making a seal for it if u can.

Latest posts

Back