• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1st time buyer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azeidler

displayname
Aaron Zeidler
Well Friday evening I took an hour drive to New Ulm and bought myself my 1st Cub Cadet. It's a 1985 red 682 with the filtered kt 17 series 2. It currently only has the 50 inch mower deck, but I intend on getting more for it.

I will post pics of this machine tomorrow evening as im currently on my cell phone. Along with I good story of my 13 year Olds 1st attempt at driving the new toy!

Well thats going to be a pickle. I have to figure out how to resize my photos.

Aaron,

Thats great, hope to be able to see it soon.
greenthumb.gif

If you would like to email me your pictures I can resize them for ya. You can also send them to Kraig or Charlie.

Good luck

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Ziggy3878/library/Cub%20Cadet%20682

I hope this works.

Anyways, guy wanted $600 for this tractor. I got him down to $500. It needed a new battery, and the carb was not acting correctly. It only really runs when its on full choke. I took the air filter off after I got home Saturday night and tried adjusting it the best I could to no avail. Its suppose to have 3 screws, Main Fuel, Idle Fuel, and Idle Speed. The screw for the Main is out of commission. The head of it is broke off. It doesnt break my heart really as I heard some bad things about it anyways. Im open for suggestions on a good brand. The only other things it needs is the front roller for the deck, and the front axle has a decent amount of play.

The last 3 pictures are of my daughters 1st attempt at driving the 682. She obviously underestimated the power of the Cub. Didnt do any real damage so Im thankful for that. If it were a cheapo MTD tractor I dont think it would have fared as well as the Cub

OK Ziggie, that worked! Nice looking tractor. If you check the FAQ's you will find a method to get the slop out of the front axel.

Thanks fellas/ Well good news is that as of right now I am not foing to need to get a new carb. I spent about 10 minutes last night and fired it up and started adjusting the 2 screws that were available to me while listening intently. Idle fuel adjustment scre calls for it to be turned out 3/4 to 1 turn. I have it turned out just shy of 2 1/2 turns. No sputtering and no backfire, it runs like a dream. I took it out and raced around the yard for about 30 minutes at WOT, including uphill and downhill. Then I went over to the neighbors propertyline where they never have mowed. I engaged the deck, sounded perfect. Then the real test. Flawless, motor didnt miss a beat through that thick crap. One thing I did notice though. When I hit a stick, it hits with a "thud" where on my lawn machine, it hits with a "ting"!!! But that is no complaint!!

My wife told me I looked like a kid on Christmas morning when she saw me tooling around the yard!! I have to admit, it was pretty fun not having to worry where the choke was set to ensure it stayed running.

Now onto the next projects in line. I need to purchase the front roller wheel for the deck, but more importantly, I want to know what are my options as far as tillers. I know theres various models out there, I need to know what to look for. And by that I want to know all. Do all models work? If not, which is best? What accesories if any are needed? What are some of the problematic areas I should inspect prior to purchasing one from someone?

One other thing, is this spring assist a pretty good investment? How much of a difference does it actually make?

Thanks in advance for the help guys. Its getting oh so closer to garden season. This weekend I will change Hydro fluid. Everything that I have read led me to look into Hytran. Im not so certain its ever been changed. At least not the filter. Its not only dirty, but, it is also rusty around the edges.

Aaron,
When I had 682 as my only lawn tractor it was used for everything. From mowing the yard to cleaning snow. When They boy got old enough to start running it he couldn't pick the blade up. So I bought the spring assist. And adjusted it so he could. Then he could clean the drive all by his self. So long story short, YES it is worth it.

Well I installed an app on my phone that's suppose to resize my photos, so here goes.

285728.jpg

Of you look, you should be able to see where the adjustment screw should be

285729.jpg

Definitely has been awhile since it's been changed

285730.jpg

All I can say is, What the hell!?!?

So, after a little frustration with the current carb, I have decided I should just to get a new one. The adjustment screws dont seem to be holding their position. After about 60-90 minutes I have to choke it again to keep it running until I get into the garage and grab a screw driver and make the needed adjustments. That and coupled with the one that is broke off makes it seem like a good decision.

I know there are a few guys here from the Minnesota area, where one find a good priced carb from a trusted place? Ive searched a few online places but I cant believe some of the prices I am seeing.

Latest posts

Back