• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1872 Talk

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theins

displayname
Todd Heins
I just picked up a SGT 1872 and do not know a lot about them. I have ordered the complete manual set and they are on there way. The price was right so I had to get it. Only has a couple problems. The first is it only has a 46" deck and the second problem is when I turn on the PTO with the mower deck attached, the engine bogs down and almost dies. Tall grass will also do it. The blades on the deck spin good. Will a good tune up fix this problem or do I need to do a complete overhaul?

Also wondering about 3point and rear PTO. Are they still available? I would like to put a tiller on the back of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

What engine is in the 1872? It could be a governor problem or possibly needs a rebuild like you mentioned. It does definitely need a bigger deck.

(Message edited by agitch on May 14, 2005)

With that many hours and if it hasn't had an overhaul in the past most likely is due. Mag18's aren't known to last that long. Rear pto may be hard to get ahold of.

The category "0" three points start at $500 last I knew, they may have gone up. As far as I know MTD still makes all the parts but they don't sell them as an assembly.

If you have 1400 hours on the motor you are on borrowed time my friend!

Mike,

Thanks for the info. Something defiately needs to be done now because my crankcase is filled with gas. Possible fuel bowl float is stuck? Went to start it today and she turned over real slow and spit gas and oil out the dipstick tube. I just want to make it through the summer mowing and then tear into it. Maybe I should look for a drop in replacement.

Todd,

Fuel pump is likely bad....that is the fastest way to fill the crank case with gas, and at those hours the fuel pump diaphragm has to be shot.

Steve,

Thanks, I did change the fuel pump. I also had exhaust coming out the left head. I have it back together and it runs like a champ. No bogging down. Smokes a bit, mostly the oil and gas that sprayed all over not totally cleaned off yet but it should make it through the summer.

Is it worth rebuilding the engine or buy new?

recommendations for 1872 repower. I have a 1989 1872 that I may need to repower soon. Anyone have experience with www.smallenginewarehouse.com and their honda engine 24hp repower for the 2072 that is a kit. Seems like a good deal. My local cub dealer says 1872 identical to 2072. I could add 6hp and get honda reliability for 1500.00 vs a kohler short block only for 1700.00.

new poster

thanks

scott

Well, the kohler 18hp is locked up after a head gasket replacement, oil change and new front seal. Started and ran on choke ro 10 seconds and then stopped. Tried to restart and the starter acted like it was getting low volts. Replace battery and pulled starter apart and it was tired. Replaced starter...still same problem. THE MOTOR HAS LOCKED UP! for no apparent reason.....any ideas?? It ran when I parked it but had little oil in it due to leaking front seal. The low oil lite never came on and I startred it to move it into shop later.??? I literally cannot turn it over by hand with a bar either....Honda repower on the way I guess and find out whats up after I pull it. I aint gonna pull it and rebuild it thats for sure.}}}}

Scott, I was looking at smallenginewarehouse also a while back. I think the only difference is the PTO shaft for the 2072 is larger but the Honda engine comes with a sleeve on it so all you have to do is go without the sleeve or buy a 2072 PTO. My Kohler is running good now but in the future, the Honda is the way I would go. Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back