• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

12 hp magnum

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgeorg

displayname
John G.
A guy acquired a 1211 in a property transaction and said the engine always ran like crap. About 2800 hrs on it. You think this might be a problem?? All the other head bolts were also loose. It caught on fire when he was working on it and gave it to me. The bore measures org and some crosshatch is visible. Too bad the engine sticker is burned and un-readable. Another mystery.
head1.jpg

Edit: Dang this should have been in the CCC /MTD section.

Mod Edit: It's been moved to the correct forum area.

Sounds to me like the head gasket wasn't re-torqued after the engine was rebuilt. Perhaps you should install a new head gasket, torque it down, run it enough to warm it up, let it cool and re-torque it. Work it some, and then re-torque once more. Someone with more experience rebuilding these engines could offer a more precise protocol.

However, an original spec 12 HP bore diameter on an engine with 2,800 hours on it doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it was bored out from a smaller displacement to the 12 HP spec. It doesn't help that the engine tag is unreadable.

Also, be sure the cylinder head is flat before re-assembly.

Latest posts

Back