• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

PTO Clutch 2086 Super Garden Tractor

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbengal

displayname
Tim Bengal
I am having an intermittent problem with this electric clutch. The tractor is a 1997 model year and only has 350 hours with a 20HP Kawasaki. After mowing for 1/2 hour and then turning the mower off, it sometimes will not turn on again until I turn off the tractor for about 1 hour.

This particular clutch is non-adjustable and my dealer says it costs about $270.

Any advice?

Tim:
By non-adjustable, do you mean the air gap isn't adjustable?
My JD318 has the same problem as your 2086 SGT. I've adjusted the air gap on mine to factory specs and it hasn't solved the problem. I've dealt with this situation in two ways - 1st, I only mow with the 318 when I have to and "plan" my mowing when I do so that I don't have to shut down for anything :eek:) & 2nd, I bought a CC 3235 for the mowing chores and only use the JD as a back-up plan.
Good luck and I hope you don't have to shell the $270 to skin this problem.
Keith

I have a CC built 682 and sometimes when I would mow for long periods of time the pto wouldn't want to engage after attempting to turn it on after crossing the gravel driveway or something like that. I would have to throttle the engine all the way up and then it would engage. I got to thinking maybe because of the extreme heat the gap was increasing because metal does expand a tad when hot. It was requiring more volts/amps to engage it hence throttle up the engine. I adjusted my air gap just a hair below the suggested setting and it fixed it. Good luck.

I like your suggestion of raising the RPM's to help the PTO to engage. I'll let you know if that works for my problem. Also, non-adjustable means there is no air gap adjustment that can be made.

(Message edited by tbengal on June 03, 2005)

hi guys, just had the same luck with my CC 782 pto, when it got hot it wouldnt work, then it just gave up. Check the pto with a omh meter, it should read continuity. after taking mine apart, it looks like heat killed it.

Started the tractor today (Cub Cadet 3185), after mounting new tires, and PTO will not engage. Checked belts - old but not broken, Idler -OK, vacuum actuator -OK. Any ideas?

Removed side panel to observe actuator. All seems to engage except belts don't turn. Is there a clutch on front of engine, I don't see one on the diagram. Is there an electric lock I am missing?

Or could the belts just be old enough to slip that much? Is there an adjustment I am missing? I am stumped. What do I need to look for?

Mike Gardner

Michael,

Check to make sure the PTO break is disengageing, be carefull doing this.
38372.gif

See part# 2

Thanks Lenny! Tractor is fixed. Actuator was functioning correctly, but PTO brake was jammed shut. Adjusted it out a little and voila! Thanks for the help from several, and especially Lenny!

Mike Gardner

Back