• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1962 Cub Original clutch slipping (not pto)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having a hard time searching for this, most everything that comes up is for the pto clutch. I recently traded a Savage .270 that I hadn't used since I sighted 12 years ago in for a 1962 Cub Original. I watched him mow with it, and it mowed nice! 38" deck and skinny tires looks way better than my Toro zero turn with 54" deck. I got it home, and mowed for a little over an hour (beautifully), then all at once the manual transmission didn't want to do anything going up a small slant, but was strong down hill. I plan on taking off the deck this weekend and adjusting the clutch, but I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. In the coming couple of years, I plan on restoring it. But for now, I'd like to mow, plow and cultivate a small patch with it.

Some of the common areas that cause concern when that happens is the roll pins that secure the driveshaft to the coupling at the transmission input shaft. And it can be hard to tell when it happens! Sometimes the ends of the broken pin won't come out so when inspecting it looks like everything is normal!

If you can (safely) set it in gear, and see if the driveshaft turns and then see if the input shaft at the transaxle is also turning, if it is and the tractor isn't moving, then you have other issues. You can also check if the clutch disc is actually turning drive shaft too. Folks have actually had the issue happen internittantly, that is - the broken pin would connect and drive the tractor and then release so the tractor stops! Plan accordingly when testing!!

Thanks, Mike. I will get under it this weekend to investigate. You gave me more to look at. I'm thinking the clutch isn't making great contact with the shaft. It looked weak from the side. I will report back.

Thanks, Mike. I will get under it this weekend to investigate. You gave me more to look at. I'm thinking the clutch isn't making great contact with the shaft. It looked weak from the side. I will report back.
Download the Service manual.
http://ccmanuals.info/pdf/O Chassis Service Manual.pdf While it's downloading, grease the clutch release collar on the drive shaft and also check the front bearing assembly to make sure it hasn't fallen down and binding things up.
1627097630479.png

Latest posts

Back