• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Paint that looks great but not too pricey

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sshaff

displayname
Steve Shaff
Hi Guys. I'm considering paint options for my 73 restoration...looking for a system that will provide the best result for the buck. Options include spray can, Preval aerosol paint sprayer (5 bucks at Menards), or an HVLP gun for my air compressor. I haven't checked paint prices yet but will consider PPG Shopline, Valspar, and Cub Cadet brand (spray can or quart can). What system will provide the best overall value?

Steve, I've used a HVLP gun, with the Case IH paint. with a little hardener. We have the Federal Yellow and IH 935 white at the Case IH dealership where i work in polo in the spray cans as well as the quart. May even be able to get in in gallons as well. I sprayed small items with the cans, and large items with the gun. Next time i'll spray more with the gun as ill have more parts ready at one time.

Thanks, John. I don't have an HVLP gun yet but will consider buying one if I'm convinced it's worth it. The $5.00 Preval sprayer may suffice, too...paint is poored into a glass container that attaches to a small disposable aerosol canister. I'm wondering if it performs comparably and whether others here have tried it?

John: Would there be a significant cost difference in painting the entire tractor with Case/IH spray cans compared to buying the same paint by the quart? I also have a front blade and tiller to paint, and probably a plow later on.

Steve - I know the spray cans are around $9 (my cost) and the quart is around $15 my cost. Not sure how much more paint is in the quart - I'd say a bunch - you're paying for the convenience I'm sure. Do you want me to pick you up a can or two to try out? It sprays and lays out nice as long as you keep the tip clean.

Harbor Freight sells HVLP guns for like $20.. It's almost use 'em and throw them away. Thats way cheaper than the spary cans

I have one of the Harbor Freight guns that I picked up for $10 with a coupon. I used it to paint my dump trailer and using it to paint my 149. I didn't expect much for the price but it works pretty good. Much better than spray cans.

Steve, John, Tom, and Adam: I think it's a great idea to post painting tips in the Refurbish and Restoration section.
smile.gif

John Boelens: Unfortunately you were out when I stopped by the IH dealer in Polo this morning! The previous posts on here suggested spray cans would be more expensive than buying paint by the quart, so I got two quarts of Case/IH federal yellow and a quart of 935 white (along with some helpful paint tips from the other guys there). It was suggested I buy an inexpensive gravity feed HVLP gun... after checking several places I finally found one for $30. On your 73 project, what ratio of paint, hardener, and thinner did you use? Also wondering if your 73 had a "BE CAREFUL" decal next to the shift lever with a warning to "Be sure operating controls are in neutral before starting engine". None of my other tractors have this and I've never seen a replacement decal like it available for purchase anywhere...

Steve, Sorry I wasn't around. Planter season, and I was about an hour an a half east yesterday working on a Kinze and a Case IH planter.
Anyways, glad you got the quart cans. The white we used a 8:1:1 ratio - the yellow is tough to paint and we actually used same ratio, but next time want to try just a 8:1 ratio with hardener only. This was with my cousins $400+ Auto body spray gun. My HF hvlp gun may be a little more resilient and I can try it out sometime. Gotta finish getting my #2 cart sandblasted before I spray again.

Thanks, John. I also picked up a small can of Valspar hardener and some Naphtha thinner at Farm and Fleet yesterday but later found some PPG Shopline hardener in my cabinet left over from paint work on previous restorations...wondering if I could use that instead. Same for thinner, but its not the Naphta type recommended by the guy at F and F. Not sure if the type matters?? The directions on the Case/IH paint can aren't specific about that... Unless someone here suggests differently I'll probably try the old stuff first to see if it suffices.

Back