• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Newly acquired 682

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmclements

displayname
Robert M. Clements
Whew!
worthy.gif
I think I finally found the "proper" forum for my 682!

I just brought this home yesterday thinking it was an IH but with a serial #722,XXX it's really a CCC machine.
167301.jpg

It appears to be pretty tired although it starts right up, doesn't smoke at all and sounds pretty good. When I engage the PTO for the deck it really drags the engine down and it won't travel much faster than a baby can crawl.

Could this have something to do with it?
167302.jpg

Maybe a "freshening" is in order?

Thanks, Rob

If that hour meter is correct it definitely needs a rebuild. But, check your governor setting, if it's not set correctly, it will bog down the engine when you engage the pto. But, it's probably just tired. If it's a series I engine, i wouldn't rebuild it. I'd look for a good used series II engine.

I just got an email back from the P.O. and he said that he rebuilt the starter and put a new battery in it and it seemed to be just fine. Claims he drove it around with the deck engaged with no problems. He suggested checking the charging system for low voltage. Does this seem right? Will low voltage cause a loss in power with the KT17?

Thanks

Robert, if it starts right up and doesnt smoke, don't assume it needs rebuilt, if it's got any oil in it. Low voltage can affect engine operation but by that point the battery usually won't start the engine. Adrian had a good point with checking the govenor.

Ok guys, I'm home from work and ready to get Cubbin'.

I thought David's comment "and doesnt smoke, don't assume it needs rebuilt, if it's got any oil in it." was pretty cute but it made me think. I know I remember pulling the dipstick out and looking at it and thinking "ok it's got oil, maybe a little overfull but not bad". Today I got home from work and pulled the dipstick out and looked real close at it. Boy oh boy did the oil look thin? One quick sniff and I am quite sure that it is NOT supposed to smell like gas, is it? Obviously I need to drop the oil and put fresh in but does anyone have any ideas on what my next step should be?

Thanks, Rob.

Carb kit, float, new fuel lines, and possibly fuel pump. Adding an inline shutoff before the fuel pump is a good idea too. Let the engine drain overnight if possible, and leave the fill cap off so the fumes can get out.

I've gotten into the habit of shutting the fuel off after each use since these are prone to let fuel get in the crankcase without a moments notice. Like matt place an inline shutoff where you can shut it off by just raising the hood.

Great information guys. Thanks a ton!

The crankcase is draining and the fill plug is out. I will leave it that way in the garage until tomorrow night. I do have a couple of more questions.

1) There is a shutoff valve in the bottom of the gas tank. Is this a good spot to shut it off or should I install a shut off in the line between the fuel tank and the fuel pump.
2) Would gas in the oil cause the engine to lose power?

Thanks again for all your help.

Rob

Robert C.-

You can't reach the tank shutoff unless you take a side panel off, so I'd put one just before the pump where you can reach it by opening the hood, as was already said.

I've had this happen twice, and both times, the engine would not start because it was so flooded. I really hope that your engine wasn't run much if at all with that in there...It might have gotten hot and scored the rod bearings and mains.

Rats...I found the "lack of power" problem. It seems that there is no compression in one of the cylinders. Time to start tearing down to see what happened.

Latest posts

Back