• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New Project

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpagano

displayname
Tom Pagano
I have what appears to be a Model 71, although I cannot locate the s/n to validate. The subject has been under a plastic sheet for ~25 years. There is oil (well there is a black oily looking liquid) in the engine. The s/n on the Kohler engine is "B 072700". The rear wheels are missing. Looking to find out what size I will need to get this rolling and into my garage.

224788.jpg

Tom-
Check on top of the transmission case at the back of the tractor. There may be a serial number tag riveted there just above the fill-plug for the rearend.

As far as the wheels, I'm pretty sure a 71 could have come with either 6-12 or 8.50 rear tires. Since it looks like it has the skinny front tires, you could probably go with either size for the rear and it would look fairly "correct".

Keep us posted on your progress...

Finally have my Model 71 home and started working on it. The s/n was on top of the transmission case. #151717 lives! The mice appeared to have had a field day with the wiring. As I will need to be doing some re-wiring, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the corrugated split wire loom versus the braided sleeve (oem)?

Tom, neat find. Be advised at least one of our sponsors has harness assy's in stock. But I guess a 71 wouldn't be too hard to hand wire either. As far as corrigated vs braided...dont know if I've ever seen braid to make a harness ! But since you ask, maybe you have access to some, let us know.
thumbsup.gif

Update: C C Specialties has a harness assy for $90

The wiring harness is complete. I used Techflex expandable sleeving sourced from PartsExpress. It may not be as professional looking as the harness from CC Specialties, but I had time on my hands and the project is a "learning experience". Part of that learning is that I should have used the clean cut sleeving as opposed to the expandable. Oh well, live and learn.
I removed the engine from the frame this week and have started dis-assembly (more pictures, more plastic baggies). I have a question on the removal of the clutch plate assembly from the engine. I removed the 4 retaining bolts, but the plate is not budging. I soaked the with WD40, but it still no wont release. Is this going to require a gear puller? The plate appears like it might bend with a puller. Open to suggestions. Thanks!

249761.jpg

Back