• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Engine/drive rotation on very old CC

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrjacobs

displayname
Hugh Jacobs
Hello,

I own a Cub Cadet sn 22844 which came with a broken 7 hp Kohler engine. I believe this may be an original?
I have installed a 10 HP Tecumseh (sacrilegious act?) off my old snow-blower and have it operational. Unfortunately, the main drive rotates the wrong way and I have to drive off the camshaft pulley which originally drove the snow-blower auger. In first gear, snails blow by me!
Is it possible to swap the crown gear in the rear end over to the other side, thereby reversing the direction of everything?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!
Hugh

It would be mabey less trouble to buy a 7 or 8 horse. but that ain't the question you asked. Yes you can "flip the rear end gear.
It's an original built in Jan. of 62 from the number you provided. Does the Techumseh have electric start? could you turn the engine around and drive it off the flywheel side?
Bet you'd get more answers up on the "garden tractor" page. Let me be the first, Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your reply Dave! I'm trying to figure out what the difference is in a "lawn tractor" and a "garden tractor".......
I can't turn the engine around as the pull start is on the other end. Camshaft and flywheel are on the same side. Yes, the Tecumseh is electric start....120 VAC! I do have another Tecumseh from an old Argo, but, again, the rotation problem....
I doubt very much if I could find another Kohler engine but I can pick up a complete, 6 hp diesel (new) for under $500 which would probably be the better way to go.
Hugh

If you go the diesel route post some pictures on the "not OEM but better than new" page, that would be cool.
The tractors are classified by the factory "garden or lawn" tractors. How they get used is up to the owner.
As far as you finding anouther Kohler, there are other people from canada here so never say never.

All right...Now, Now...

There's a helluva difference between a Tractor style Lawn mower (Lawn Tractor) and a Garden scale Tractor.

1) Tractor Style Lawn Mowers are just that..they just mow the grass and the come with a mowing deck standard.

2) On the other hand, a Garden scale (size) Tractor does just what it larger brethren do. No piece of equipment comes as standard. Belly mower decks are Optional quipment. These units are fully capable of using any ground engaging equipment from tillers, plows, harrows , etc.

The owner can't just decide to put a turning plow on a Lawn Tractor and expect the tractor to last more than a few minutes...They aren't designed nor manufactured to do such. They can tow a small trailer or lawn sweeper and maybe push some snow or some such activity related to lawn maintenance. But they ain't gonna plow your garden no matter what "the owner decides"...

Definitions have meaning and a purpose in delineating use of the equipment.

Myron B
CCSupplyroom

Back