• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Electronic Data Storage Options?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
I'm curious what you are using for storing electronic data as a form of back-up.

My external hard-drive has gotten too small, so it's time for an upgrade. I'm not fond of the idea of using an online company that offers "data storage" for two reasons; I don't like the idea of giving family photos and other "private" data to strangers, and I'm not sure I trust they will be there "no matter what".

Should I cross the bridge into online storage, or are my concerns warranted?

Right now my plan is to order a >$100 "Terabyte" sized external drive. (USB)

Thanks!

Art A
I have been using the WD Backup ,1.5 TB drive and like that I have control . I don`t think much of on line storage with all my info. I had a crash awhile back and found this was great to restore what what I had lost, from my own backup storage unit. I have it run a check at 6pm everyday. My garage computer has crashed and to get all my Cub Cadet info back I took the drive over and took the info I had lost and put it all back.I hate confusher crashes before because I would never get the info back I had, now that's not a problem here.here is what I use http://www.backuphowto.info/how-to-backup-using-wd-my-book. Size of the drive is not a big issue, because you can burn to a cd and date the disk if you need more storage. Later Don T
old.gif

I like to use multiple PCs as backups mainly because I have several of them. External hard drives are good for backups. Just remember that they can die just as easily as your PC and are actually more susceptible to damage as they are small and can be knocked around. I don't like the sealed cases of the Western Digital backup drives. I prefer to purchase a USB enclosure and hard drive separately. More options IMO. I have several enclosures and hard drives. I also have bare hard drives that I use for backups. I open up the PC and connect the hard drive copy over what I want then disconnect the hard drive and close the PC back up. I even have spare boot drives for my laptops and desktop PCs. Where I work we make equipment for computer forensics for making exact copies of hard drives. Sure makes it easy for me to make back up copies.
happy.gif

Back