• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Cushmans???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
One of my other $$$$ sinks is Cushman scooters... another of the mechanical classics !!
Matt D:
The cracked jug on your Eagle motor - thought I'd show ya some pics of a '56 Eagle motor that's setting on my bench right now.. Stock, it's a 2 7/8 (2 .875) bore. Somewhere in its life it's been hogged out. The top of the cylinder is stamped 3.030 and the piston, from a later bore job is 3.050 ! I'm surprised that the fins aren't just stacked on top of each other!!! I took it to a race shop in our area that has a sonic bore measuring instrument. We found out that you can't measure a cylinder bore with fins as it sees the fin material as an extension of the wall thickness, but the trunk for the valve lifters is free of fins, and it checked at about .125 wall thickness, which the engineers say is safe on a low compression engine.
53098.jpg

53099.jpg

53100.jpg

Here's the one I ride ('59 Super)
53101.jpg

I put it together about 4 years ago.
53102.jpg

Anyone else got 'em ??

That one will go about 60, but it's been leaned on a little. They'll cruise all day at 45, which with the tires that are on them is just fine. They are street legal, the 8 Horse Eagle motor is about 350 CC. They are licensed in most states as motorcycles now, but when they were new, there was usually a scooter registration available. Cushmans were built from the late 30's until mid '66 - they couldn't compete with the little Hondas. The origin of the scooter itself was to sell more Cushman engines - they originally built stationery engines like IHC did, Despite popular belief, there was no connection to Harley (or any of the other small engine manufacturers). Along with the Eagle, there were lots of variations of step-through models . I'll dig up a couple of pics of the Model 32 that we've got (barn fresh, still runs great !)

Kendell - A guy here that I built a wood pressure treatment plant for had me look up some parts for a Cushman that he had then. I don't know if he still has it or ever fixed it up, I'll have to give him a call and see.
I don't think I'd want to do 60mph with those small tires. Aw who am I kiddin' , I'd do 80mph on it !

How about this style of Cushman, I just traded one like it for a well equiped 102. Go about anywhere. Anyone know of any parts Tracksters in NY?
53127.jpg

I didn't know there was a "well equiped" 102 worth that trade. You must have got the yard and garden thrown in ;)

I didn't use the Trackster much. It needs some work but worked well. I figured the 102 came from a friend who I knew will fix up the Trackster real nice, I dont have the time or money. I don't like having stuff that will go to @#!! sittin around when someone else will fix it up. The 102 is worth more to me cause it will get used every day. I got rid of a 67 Dodge Dart we made into a GTS and a georgous 65 Impala SS because I didn't have the time to finish them right. I HATE seeing stuff like that rot away.

Cushman continued in business until recently (Textron owned them for quite a while). Their primary product was industrial 3 and 4 wheel Trucksters (including a lot of those meter maid ones) - they actually built them at the same time they were building the scooters.. Here's a '58 Truckster that my better half got a couple of years ago..
53140.jpg

This has got the same basic engine as the 8 HP Eagle scooter, with an electric starter and a 3 speed w/reverse transmission. It's a great fairground cruiser...

Kendall, that motor that cracked was a 2-7/8 motor it had a spot on the cyl. where the piston pin got loose and kept hitting the cyl. wall. When we bored it out to clean it up it ended up at 3.030 over I almost thought we should have sleeved it! Any way here is shot of it's replacement, an M9 at .020 over.

53347.jpg

Kendall, that motor that cracked was a 2-7/8 motor it had a spot on the cyl. where the piston pin got loose and kept hitting the cyl. wall. When we bored it out to clean it up it ended up at 3.030 over I almost thought we should have sleeved it! Any way here is shot of it's replacement, an M9 at .020 over.

53350.jpg

Matt - I'll get a pic or two together of the current project- '56 cast iron frame w/ Silver Eagle trans and a 16 horse Vanguard ( wife doesn't want me to own a fast two wheeler any more - last one was a GS-1000C Zook )
whistling.gif

As all you Cushman guys know, Minneapolis has quite a collection floating around. If you ever get a chance to visit the home office, do so. It's really cool. BTDT.
We were up there yesterday and just happened to catch this guy heading for Fl. with his almost Cub Cadet yellow machine.
53423.jpg

Ken W. here ya go! I had to drive to Oklahoma to pick up the frame for this 58. Did all the work myself paint and assembly. Spent about three months of week ends and one vacation, best vacation I ever had too.
53448.jpg

53449.jpg

53450.jpg

Kendell, I really like the flat black look
thumbsup.gif

I have a 60 Super that I converted to a standard, will get some pics later!

I hate to admit it, but that's J..n D....e Matte black from TSC. I've got more time in the bottom half of the tank than the rest of the tin.. It's gloss black base/clear. The idea was to reflect the shiny stuff on the motor - turns out it was a good idea if the people looking at it are about 2 feet tall......
screwloose.gif

Anyone from central Ohio - we'll be lookin' for Cubs while we're crusin' at the Cushman Nationals next week in Mansfield - better hide 'em - I'm gonna leave a spot in the trailer!!!
wave.gif

Kindell....I'm in Mt.Vernon,Ohio....half hr. south of Mansfield....stop by....I'll fill that trailer!..lol..cub 100..tiller..decks ect.

Latest posts

Back