• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Child fatally shot in Nerstrand

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbusch

displayname
Terry Busch
This accident happened a few miles from my house. I know the home owner from high school. Tough story.

Here is the link to the full story
http://northfieldnews.com/news.php?viewStory=45587

— A Nerstrand toddler was accidentally shot and killed this afternoon by his 6-year-old sister while the two were playing with a handgun.

Sheriff Richard Cook said the 3-year-old boy died around 5 p.m. at North Memorial Hospital in Robbinsdale.

The girl, said Sheriff Richard Cook, stood about 20 feet from her brother when the shots were fired, striking him in the right rear of the head.

The two were playing upstairs in their home at 140 Maple St., when they found the gun in their mother and her boyfriend's bedroom nightstand, Cook said.

The girl told investigators she pulled the trigger of the .357 revolver twice. The first time "nothing happened," Cook said, though investigators aren't sure whether there wasn't a bullet in the chamber or if she didn't actually pull the trigger all the way.

The children's mother was downstairs in the home, washing dishes, Cook said. She called 911 at 3:17 p.m.

The gun, Cook said, was loaded and unlocked. It is owned by the mother's boyfriend, Terrance Kalina, who is also the owner of the home where the incident occurred. He was not at home at the time. Handguns are not required to be registered in the state of Minnesota.

The mother and daughter are "obviously very distraught," Cook said.

The incident is under investigation, he said, though it's too early to tell whether criminal charges are warranted.

On my soapbox;
First of all what the hell are you doing with a <u>LOADED and UNLOCKED</u> .357 in the nightstand when you have kids around!?!?!?!? If the neighborhood is that bad, get the f--- outta' there, your kids aren't going to learn anything worth being proud of living there. The mother and the "boyfriend" should have been shot in the head!

Nerstrand is a small farming town of maybe 50 to 100 people. They have a convenience store, a grain elevator, and a meat market. The nearest town is about 8 miles away.

I have lived next to this town my whole life and I have never heard of any crime. My sister lived there for ~10 years.

OK, I'll retract my "bad hood" statement but not the "loaded and unlocked" statement. Grow up and accept some responsability. It's unfortunate for the shooing victum, but what kind of mental state will the surviving kid be in for the rest of his/her life due to the idiot "parent/s???"

There is just no excuse for lack of responsibility here. There are plenty of devises avaliable to keep kids safe from guns <u>and</u> be able to responsibly protect ones home at the same time.

Very tragic accident. On the news last night I heard them say that the mother and her children had *just* moved into her boyfriend's house. They didn't specify how long a period of time *just* was. Sounds like the guy was not used to having kids in the house.

I have lived that horror of losing a child to an accidental shooting (not at my house). Has been 21 yrs. ago and that is all I am going to say!

Ben

I am a handgun owner and I have two small kids, It breaks my heart to hear this story. The boyfriend shouldn't have left the gun in this location at all, but he might have not thought twice about it. I do believe in carrying a handgun and having one within usable reach, because what good is a gun if it is locked in a safe with no ammo. I grew up with guns all my life and my daddy taught me to respect guns and how to use them and I never would have pointed a gun at anyone even in play. Most people think that guns are evil and to keep kids away from them so they don't have an accident, but if you have guns and kids and you don't want them to have an accident, you best teach them how to use a gun and the danger that is involved with them, and to respect them and they are not to be used as toys so they won't have and accident. Guns do need to be secured when not in use, but children need to be taught about guns, and not kept from learning about them. It is a very sad story, but the gun is not at fault.

Todd: Well put!
old.gif

I just want to add to my post that I didn't want to come across as just worried about the gun part of the issue. I don't know what I would do in this families situation. My kids are so precious to me and the greatest gift God has given me. That family is going through hurt I cannot imagine, and I do hope they can make it through it and be an even closer family.

Todd: I'm with you. We live about 700 feet off the road, in the woods. The nearest police station is fifteen minutes away and the likely response time more like 30 minutes. I keep a loaded gun on the nightstand. My children have been taught all their lives about gun safety. They would no more touch one of my guns than drive away in my car. But even so, I have to keep a close watch on the pistol.

We live in a safe area but we all know that rural settings, although safe, are rural. You have to be prepared to see to look after yourself. Whenever I read one of these stories it sickens me. I know that children are injured by tractors, run over by cars, bitten by their own dogs, and everything else. But, still, a gun accident is just so easily preventable. I don't understand it.

My kids are how I know God loves me. Why else would he give something so precious to someone so underserving.

I have several guns in the house. Tho small the kids know there they are and don't go near them. They have been taught from early on that you respect guns because of that they can do if used wrong.
The guns are kept one place and the ammunition is in another. The kids understand guns and this is one of those things that common sense can go a long, long way. They are never loaded unless they are on the range or in the woods. To be other kept any other way is just stupidity.
While I have the guns for home defense and sport I don't think they will ever be needed for protection. The blue healer will probably be more than enough, she's pretty protective.
Gun contoll and gun owners rights are a pretty hot topic and very politicaly charged. Lets all think before we type so this thread can be a great discussion.

war.gif

Latest posts

Back